This Cheesy Garlic Pull Apart Bread only takes 10 minutes to prep and makes a tasty and filling appetizer for your next party!
If you’re looking for a deliciously cheesy warm appetizer, we have found it for you! With only 5 ingredients and a 10 minute prep time, it’s an easy appetizer that you will make again and again.
This bread is perfect for tearing and sharing with friends, and it’s great to customize with different types of cheese. You can even add other seasonings to make it your own!
Why You’ll Love this Pull Apart Bread
This savory appetizer is perfect for large groups! Bring it along to potlucks, parties, or serve at your next happy hour as a flavorful centerpiece.
Best of all, it’s incredibly versatile and you can easily customize it to your own taste. With only 10 minutes of prep you can heat this reliable cheesy treat that’s sure to be a hit wherever you serve it!
Whether you’re entertaining just a couple of friends or a neighborhood party, grab a loaf of fresh French bread and your favorite serrated knife.
This simple recipe will become an instant favorite and one you’re sure to revisit whenever you need an appetizer in a pinch!
Cheesy Garlic Pull Apart Bread Ingredients
- French bread – I find that French bread tends to have the best shape and texture for this pull apart bread, but feel free to experiment with other kinds of bread.
- shredded mozzarella cheese – one of the best cheeses if you’re looking for melty, gooey results.
- butter – gives your bread a rich and buttery flavor and helps distribute the garlic.
- garlic – provides a salty and sharp flavor that pairs well with the warm cheese.
- parsley – adds a pop of color and green flavor.
How to Make Pull Apart Bread
- Start with preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Gather your ingredients and let’s go!
- Start cutting your French bread in a zigzag pattern, but be careful NOT to cut all the way through. I put my reusable chopsticks alongside the length of my bread, so they block my knife from cutting all the way through the loaf.
- This is how your bread should look after you are finishing zigzag cutting the loaf of French bread. Opening up the bread will make it easier to brush the loaf with the butter garlic mixture.
- Melt your butter and mince your garlic. You can buy minced garlic in a jar, but using a garlic mincer to press your own fresh garlic is always better. Garlic tastes so much better when it has just been minced.
- Mix the butter and garlic together well in a bowl. Now, use your pastry brush to brush the garlic butter between the cuts and over your bread. Make sure all parts are covered.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese between the cuts of the bread as well. Want a cheesier bread? Just use more mozzarella – and of course you can always use more garlic than called for as well!
- Cover the whole bread with aluminum foil and put in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes. Then remove the foil and put back in the oven for another 8-10 minutes. Make sure the cheese is completely melted. Then remove from the oven.
- Sprinkle the parsley over the bread as soon as you take out of the oven, then serve while warm. This appetizer also pairs nicely with these Cranberry Vodka Spritzers or a Dragonberry Rum Cocktail in warm weather.
What kind of cheese melts the best?
I like to use mozzarella for this cheesy pull apart bread since it melts beautifully and has a fairly mild flavor.
You can also use a provolone or American cheese if you like something on the subtler side.
Other cheeses that melt well and have more distinct flavors are gruyère, fontina, or cheddar cheese.
What bread is best for pull apart bread?
You’ll want something with a substantial crust that’s able to contain all of the cheese and garlic butter.
French bread works great, but you could also try Italian, sourdough, or any crusty rustic bread.
How do you reheat pull apart bread?
I would recommend wrapping leftovers in foil and reheating in the oven when it comes time to eat.
Try 350 degrees for about 10 minutes–this may vary depending on your oven.
In a pinch, you can also pop leftovers in the microwave, but be aware that this may affect the texture of the bread and potentially dry it out.
Popular Variations and Substitutions
- There are a number of ingredients you could add to this pull apart bread for more contrasting flavors. Try bits of cooked bacon, olives, tomatoes, some pesto, pepperoni or sausage, green onions, cooked chicken, or artichoke hearts.
- Another popular way to prepare a pull apart bread is to use biscuit dough. Sometimes called “monkey bread,” this method involves cutting the dough into small pieces, rolling them in the garlic butter, then packing them in a Bundt pan or cast iron skillet and layering with the cheese, then baking.
- You can also use seasonings like chili powder, cayenne, ranch dressing mix, and more to instantly transform this pull apart bread!
- Serving this Cheesy Garlic Pull Apart Bread at a Fall or Winter party? Our seasonal Butterscotch Schnapps Apple Cocktails are the perfect fit!
Garlic Cheese Pull Apart Bread Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Cut the French bread in a zig zag style, not cutting all the way through.
- Melt your butter and mince your garlic. Mix together in a bowl.
- Brush the garlic butter between the cuts and all over the bread. Make sure all parts are covered well with garlic butter.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese between the cuts of the bread.
- Cover the whole bread loaf with aluminum foil and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Then remove the foil and put back in the oven, baking for another 8-10 minutes.
Make sure the cheese is completely melted.
- Sprinkle parsley over the loaf and transfer to a serving platter.
- Serve warm.
- For added flavor, try including olives, bacon, chicken, green onion, artichokes hearts, or tomatoes.
- Any hearty bread with a thick crust will work for this pull apart bread recipe.
- Feel free to use different kinds of cheese like cheddar, American, provolone, or gruyére.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 421Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 746mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 14g