This Baked Camembert with walnuts and honey makes a tasty spread that can be used as an appetizer or a snack.
If you love cheese and nuts, you will love this Baked Camembert with nuts, honey and rosemary appetizer. It’s full of creamy cheese paired with the flavor of nuts and herbs.
Serve with some really good quality bread or crackers for dipping, along with a cocktail like these Cranberry Vodka Spritzers!
Why You’ll Love this Baked Camembert Appetizer
If you’ve ever wondered how to bake Camembert to create a stunning appetizer, look no further. This appetizer is so easy to make, with only 4 ingredients needed!
A 5 minute prep time, followed by 15 minute bake time means this is a quick and easy appy that goes perfectly at cocktail hour.
Your guests will be impressed with this elegant appetizer, but it takes next to no time and very little effort to prepare!
Ingredients for Camembert Bake
- Camembert cheese – this soft and creamy cheese is perfect as a base for a delicious appetizer.
- honey – provides natural sweetness that pairs well with the savory and nutty camembert.
- rosemary – for some aromatic and green herb-y flavor.
- walnuts – add crunchy texture for contrast.
Baked Camembert with Walnuts and Honey Instructions
- Start by preheating the oven to 350ºF. Unwrap the box of Camembert and then remove any plastic packaging around the cheese.
- Then, return the Camembert back to the box.
- Use a sharp knife to gently score around the edge of the Camembert, cutting away the rind.
- Lift off the ‘lid’ and discard. Now, it’s time to add our fillings.
- Layer the walnuts in the Camembert. Then add your rosemary (or whatever herb you like). Then, drizzle with honey all over the rosemary and walnuts. I use about 2 tablespoons worth, but freely use more if you like. Some recipes call for olive oil, but we prefer using just lots of honey for this tasty dish.
- Carefully wrap the cheese tightly in tin foil and then bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
Serving Baked Camembert
- Remove the cheese from the tin foil and place on a serving platter. Arrange crackers around and serve.
- Or, serve on a small pedestal to show off the pretty cheese box. On a separate platter, arrange small pieces of a heavy bread and add a small knife for spreading.
- This creamy cheese dip is the perfect pairing for yummy Butterscotch Schnapps cocktails or some fruity Peach Shooters.
What is the correct way to eat Camembert cheese?
Camembert can be eaten warm or cold, on crackers. Or you can add any type of jam (fig jam would be delicious). Apricot preserves would be tasty too and be pretty on the serving platter.
What is the best cracker to go with Camembert cheese?
Whole grain crackers are the perfect choice, such as these flatbreads, or use some quality Carr crackers like these.
If you want to be really fancy, use a cracker that has dried figs, dates, or nuts already baked in to increase flavor and interest.
How to bake Camembert without the box?
Sometimes, Camembert does not come with a box. In that case, just wrap the cheese in parchment paper and then in tin foil to bake it.
You can also bake it in some kind of baking dish like this one or this really pretty set of mini baking dishes, because you’ll want to use something nice and pretty if you’re particularly interested in the presentation.
What if I can’t buy Camembert cheese?
If you cannot get Camembert cheese in your area, you can easily substitute Brie instead.
You can find Brie at any of the larger grocery stores, and while the flavors are slightly different, it has many similar qualities to Camembert.
Once you combine it with the walnuts and rosemary and honey, the difference will be negligible, and it will be delicious either way!
What is the taste difference between Camembert and Brie?
Where Camembert has a deeper and more earthy taste, Brie cheese tastes more refined and has a smoother and more luxurious texture.
Do I need unpasteurized Camembert for this recipe?
You do not need to buy the more expensive unpasteurized Camembert. You can bake any Camembert, even the pasteurized one and it will not curdle.
Popular Variations and Substitutions
- If you don’t want to use honey, baked Camembert with jam is another delicious option and can provide lots of interesting flavor combination. Try fig jam, apricot preserves, blueberry jam, or whatever your favorite jam is!
- Aside from crackers, you can also serve this appetizer with freshly baked bread, pickles, or some fresh fruits and veggies.
- Top with cranberries or blackberries for even more fruity sweetness.
- A great option for baking this appetizer is to purchase a Le Creuset Camembert Baker, especially if you see yourself making appetizers like this one on many occasions.
- For even more flavor, add some garlic, thyme, tomatoes, or some flavored oils. This appetizer is easy to customize to your taste, and don’t be afraid of some trial and error!
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Easy Southwest Corn Dip – This zesty and flavorful dip is perfect to serve with some crackers or chips for your next cocktail hour or party.
- Pinecone Cheese Ball with Almonds – Another cheesy and nutty appetizer, this adorable dish is perfect as a centerpiece during the fall and winter.
- Vodka Raspberry Lemonade – Simple and sweet, this is a crucial cocktail to have in your repertoire.
- Spiked Hot Apple Cider – Autumn is a perfect time to pair this baked Camembert with a hot spiked cocktail–make this cider brought to us by Joyful Healthy Eats!
Baked Camembert with Honey
Baked Camembert with Walnuts, Honey and Rosemary
This Baked Camembert with Walnuts, Honey and Rosemary appetizer takes only 20 minutes.
- 1 wheel Camembert cheese
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 or 5 sprigs fresh Rosemary
- 1/4 cup walnuts, whole or chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove cheese from box, then remove all plastic packaging.
- Return cheese to the box.
- Use a sharp knife to gently score around the rim of the cheese cutting away the rind.
- Lift out the "lid" and discard.
- Layer the walnuts and rosemary inside the cheese.
- Drizzle well with honey.
- Wrap the cheese in tin foil tightly.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve with quality crackers or pieces of bread.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 97Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 60mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 2g