This creamy French Onion soup mix dip recipe takes only 3 ingredients and is perfect for dipping vegetables, chips or crackers.
Looking for a quick and easy appetizer that everyone will love? This French Onion soup dip is perfect for potato chips and whips up in no time at all.
The shortcut here is using a packet of store bought Lipton Onion Soup mix! With adding some sour cream and cream cheese, this dip is full of creamy deliciousness.
Why You’ll Love this Homemade Onion Dip
Making this dip recipe for a party? You can easily make this the day before your party, but be sure to store it in the fridge. Before serving take it out of the fridge so it can come up to room temperature.
If you like, you can season this dip to switch up the flavor. But, taste it first before adding extra ingredients because you may well find that using the onion soup mix adds enough flavor as it is.
This homemade French Onion Dip is one of our favorite dip recipes! And another favorite dip is our Bacon Cheddar Ranch Dip – another treat for game day!
Enjoy this French Onion Soup Dip the next time you’re watching the game!
Ingredients for French Onion Dip with Soup Mix
- Sour Cream – acts as a creamy and tangy base for your homemade dip.
- Cream Cheese – provides more creamy texture and adds a subtle sweetness and thickness to your dip.
- French Onion Soup & Dip Mix – the not-so-secret ingredient that makes this dip so easy to prepare!
- Potato Chips, Crackers and Fresh Vegetables – the perfect accompaniments to dip with this appetizer.
- Gather your simple ingredients, a medium sized mixing bowl and a large spoon. Plus you’ll need a serving dish for your dip and a pretty platter for your choice of dippers.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sour cream, cream cheese & French onion mix.
- Transfer to a serving or baking dish then set it on a larger serving platter. Top with dried onions if you like.
- Surround with potato chips, quality crackers and vegetables like carrots, celery and mushrooms. Serve at room temperature. This French onion dip using soup mix is so easy.
French Onion Dip FAQs
How long does homemade onion dip last?
Store your onion dip covered and in the fridge for 3-4 days. You can make this dip a day or so before a party and pull it out when it’s time to serve, which makes it super convenient!
It may last longer than this, so be sure to check for any odd aromas or coloration before enjoying if you wait any longer than 4 days. That being said, it’ll taste best closer to when you make it.
How do you thicken onion dip?
To thicken up the consistency of a dip, you’ll simply want to add more solid ingredients.
Greek yogurt is a good way to add some thickness, or if the dip includes vegetables, adding more can thicken the texture.
For this dip, you may want to keep an extra packet of the dip mix handy, as adding more of that is a surefire way to thicken things up.
How should I serve French onion dip?
One of the best things to serve with this dip is with potato chips, specifically crinkle cut or ridged chips (they can hold more dip!).
Vegetables like carrots, cucumbers, broccoli, and celery are also good options, or some buttery crackers, chunks of bread, pita chips, or tortilla chips.
You can also use this dip as a delicious spread for things like burgers and sandwiches if you have leftovers that you need to use up.
Popular Variations and Substitutions
Here are a few suggestions if you should want to vary the flavor of the recipe. You can add:
- salt and pepper
- dried onion flakes
- onion powder
- red pepper flakes
- Worcestershire sauce
- garlic powder
- caramelized onions
- fresh parsley (or dried parsley)
- onion flakes
- soy sauce
You can also caramelize the onions yourself if you choose! I like to use the dip mix to really cut down on prep time, but if you want to make it completely from scratch, caramelize onions in some butter and stir into the ingredients instead of the soup mix.
This is also a good time to mix in some other herbs and seasonings since you won’t have the flavors that the soup mix usually provide, but if you prefer a more subtle dip then feel free to leave those out!
Here are some other ingredients you can use instead of sour cream:
- crème fraîche (creamy but less tangy than sour cream, this is a great option for a milder flavored dip)
- Greek yogurt (make sure you use plain, anything flavored will alter the flavor)
- mayo (softens the cream cheese and provides some of the tang you’ll be missing without sour cream)
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Buffalo Ranch Dip – If you like a dip that has a bit of a kick to it, this bold and creamy appetizer only takes 5 minutes to make and goes perfectly with all of your favorite dippers!
- Dragonberry Rum Cocktail – Refreshing and exotic, this sweet and bubbly cocktail is made with dragon fruit rum and will be a huge hit with your guests.
- Easy Peach Sangria – For the summer, make this nostalgic peach sangria that has a citrus-y lemonade twist–all the flavors of the season distilled into one fun and sippable cocktail!
- Feta and Garlic Dip – This flavorful and savory dip is another delicious option to serve at cocktail hours or parties. You could even pair it with your onion dip.
Onion Soup Dip Recipe
- 16oz Sour Cream
- 8oz Cream Cheese
- 1 Envelope French Onion Soup Mix
- Crackers, fresh vegetables, potato chips for dunking
1. In a medium sized bowl, combine sour cream, softened cream cheese & French onion mix. Transfer to a serving dish.
Soften cream cheese by leaving out of the fridge for an hour before making this French Onion dip.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 249Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 222mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g