This Homemade Baileys Irish Cream is just as delicious as it is easy to make! If you love Baileys cocktails in your favorite drinks or on its own, find out how to make this recipe yourself and potentially cut some of the costs of this classic Irish cream liqueur.
Experience the rich and velvety indulgence of Baileys Irish Cream with this easy and customizable homemade liquor.
Crafted with love and care right in your own kitchen, this Irish whiskey-based spirit is a rich blend of cream, sweetened condensed milk, and a hint of coffee, chocolate, and vanilla flavors.
Perfect for sipping on its own, elevating a cup of coffee, or adding a luxurious touch to desserts or sweet cocktails, this homemade Baileys recipe is a must-have in your beverage repertoire.
Say goodbye to store-bought versions and embrace the joy of creating your own smooth and creamy Irish cream from scratch.
You can even use your homemade Irish cream to make this delicious Strawberries and Cream Martini for a sweet and romantic cocktail!
Why You’ll Love Homemade Baileys with Condensed Milk
Buying liqueur can get expensive, especially if you like to enjoy it often. The benefits of this homemade Baileys are numerous: you get to control the ingredient portions, you can whip up a batch whenever you need more, and it could help you save money!
This DIY recipe combines Irish whiskey with cream, sweetened condensed milk, and delightful notes of coffee, vanilla, and chocolate, ensuring each sip is a delightful experience for your taste buds.
Drink it on its own, make one of our Strawberry Mudslides with it, or pour some of this homemade Baileys into your coffee or hot chocolate.
While I love Baileys especially during the colder months, it’s a great liqueur to have all year round. Make this traditional Irish cream recipe for yourself and you’ll see exactly what I’m talking about! Along with making my own fruit infused vodkas, this is one of my favorite homemade spirits to have on hand.
If you love rich and creamy cocktails, you should also try this Coconut Bourbon Eggnog. Perfect for the holidays, this quick and easy vegan drink doesn’t sacrifice any flavor!
- Irish Whiskey – I like to use Jameson, but feel free to use your favorite brand of Irish whiskey!
- Half and Half Cream – gives your homemade Irish cream a rich and creamy consistency.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk – provides an extra thickness and sweetens up your drink with rich flavor.
- Cold Brew Coffee or Espresso Shots – the source of the Baileys’ signature coffee flavor–you’ll want something nice and strong like these espresso shots. You could also use instant coffee granules in a pinch.
- Chocolate Sauce – Hershey’s chocolate syrup is one of the best you can find, but feel free to use your favorite, or even make chocolate sauce from scratch.
- Pure Vanilla Extract – adds a bit of extra sweetness and diversifies the flavor profile of your beverage.
- Mix all ingredients in a pitcher or a bowl. This Godinger cocktail pitcher is so elegant – perfect for your cocktail bar. Stir or shake together, but do not mix with a blender.
- Enjoy over ice or use in your favorite Baileys cocktails.
- Store in the refrigerator after mixing. Keep for up to 2 weeks.
How long will homemade Baileys keep?
This homemade Irish cream will keep for at least two weeks. Be sure to store in the refrigerator and shake well before pouring.
What is Irish cream used for?
While delicious served straight or on the rocks, you can also use Irish cream in mixed drinks and cocktails like this Strawberry mudslide, and chocolate or espresso martinis.
It pairs well with Kahlúa too, which is another coffee liqueur. Another holiday where you’ll commonly see Irish cream served is St. Patrick’s Day!
Can I use regular coffee to make Homemade Baileys?
Short answer? No – you really need to use Espresso, or you can use instant coffee crystals in your Baileys recipe. Our favorite is this fair trade instant coffee.
Either of these will have a much more concentrated coffee flavor, which is exactly what you want!
Can I use evaporated milk instead of condensed milk?
You can, however, it will definitely dilute the taste. This is why using condensed milk is ideal.
Why did my homemade Baileys curdle?
Because alcohol is inherently acidic, mixing it with dairy products can occasionally lead to curdling or other textural issues.
The trick is to add the alcohol slowly and use something like heavy whipping cream or half and half instead of milk (even whole milk).
It may also be helpful to mix all of the other ingredients before adding the alcohol.
What are the ingredients in the original Baileys Irish Cream?
According to Baileys, the ingredients present in their original Irish cream include Irish whiskey, Irish cream, sugar, and cocoa for chocolate flavor.
How long does it take to make Baileys?
Once you’ve gathered all of the ingredients, it only takes a few minutes to mix everything together. This homemade Irish cream is ready in a pinch and can be prepared all in one container!
What kind of bottle should I use to store homemade Irish cream?
Any kind of bottle will work great for storing your Irish cream, but these flip top bottles are a great option for easy serving and pouring!
Baileys Drinks Serving Suggestions and Variations
- Rim your glass with chocolate syrup and serve with whipped cream.
- Sprinkle some cocoa powder over your drink for extra chocolate flavor and a more sophisticated presentation.
- Make some of this homemade Baileys to give out as a Christmas gift (just be sure to store and preserve it properly!).
- For a slightly different take on the liqueur, use a teaspoon of almond extract instead of vanilla. You could also use some orange extract for a subtly tangy citrus flavor.
- If you want an extra creamy version of this Irish cream, you can make homemade Baileys with eggs. You’ll want to use pasteurized eggs as there’s no cooking in this recipe. When adding eggs to your Irish cream, I recommend either blending it together or whisking well to ensure everything is well combined.
- Serve with a Pinecone Cheese Ball or these Deviled Eggs for a super tasty cocktail hour treat.
- Pumpkin Spice Baileys – Add cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove to your recipe for a distinct fall twist.
- Fireball Baileys – Replace the Irish whiskey with Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey for a warm and delicious variation.
Homemade Baileys Recipe
If you enjoy this easy recipe for homemade Baileys Irish cream, please be sure to rate it 5 stars below! And print this off or save it to your recipes folder!
- 1 1/3 cup Irish Whiskey
- 1 1/3 cup Half and half cream
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 5 tbsp cold brew coffee or espresso shots
- 3 tbsp chocolate sauce
- Mix all ingredients in a tall pitcher.
- Stir well or shake.
- Serve over ice.
- Keep refrigerated after mixing.
- Store for up to 2 weeks.
- If you find your homemade Baileys curdling, try mixing all of the other ingredients before adding the whiskey. Be sure to add it slowly.
- Your Irish Cream will last for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
- Blend in pasteurized eggs to your Irish cream for an even creamier and rich end result.
- Substitute almond extract for vanilla if desired.
- 1 cup heavy cream can also be used insteaad of half and half.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 49Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 12mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g