This Homemade Baileys Irish Cream is just as delicious as it is easy to make! If you love Baileys cocktails in your favorite drinks or on its own, find out how to make this recipe yourself and potentially cut some of the costs of this classic Irish cream liqueur.
Why You’ll Love Homemade Baileys
Buying liqueur can get expensive, especially if you like to enjoy it often.
The benefits of this homemade Baileys are numerous: you get to control the ingredient portions, you can whip up a batch whenever you need more, and it could help you save money!
Drink it on its own, make one of our Strawberry Mudslides with it, or pour some of this homemade Baileys into your coffee or hot chocolate.
While I love Baileys especially during the colder months, it’s a great liqueur to have all year round. Make this traditional Irish cream recipe for yourself and you’ll see exactly what I’m talking about!
If you love rich and creamy cocktails, you should also try this Coconut Bourbon Eggnog. Perfect for the holidays, this quick and easy vegan drink doesn’t sacrifice any flavor!
- Irish whiskey – I like to use Jameson, but feel free to use your favorite brand of Irish whiskey!
- half and half cream – gives your Irish cream a rich and creamy consistency.
- sweetened condensed milk – provides an extra thickness and sweetens up your drink.
- cold brew coffee or espresso shots – the source of the Baileys signature coffee flavor–you’ll want something nice and strong like these espresso shots.
- chocolate sauce – Hershey’s is one of the best you can find, but feel free to use your favorite, or even make chocolate sauce from scratch.
- pure vanilla extract – adds a bit of extra sweetness and diversifies the flavor profile of your beverage.
- Mix all ingredients in a pitcher, or a bowl. This Godinger cocktail pitcher is so elegant – perfect for your cocktail bar. Stir or shake together, but do not mix with a blender.
- Enjoy over ice or use in your favorite Baileys cocktails.
- Store in the refrigerator after mixing. Keep for up to 2 weeks.
How long will homemade Baileys keep?
This homemade Irish cream will keep for at least two weeks. Be sure to store in the refrigerator and shake well before pouring.
What is Irish cream used for?
While delicious served straight or on the rocks, you can also use Irish cream in mixed drinks and cocktails like this Strawberry mudslide, and chocolate or espresso martinis.
It pairs well with Kahlúa too, which is another coffee liqueur. Another holiday where you’ll commonly see Irish cream served is St. Patrick’s Day!
Can I use regular coffee to make Homemade Baileys?
Short answer? No – you really need to use Espresso, or you can use instant coffee crystals in your Baileys recipe. Our favorite is this fair trade instant coffee.
Either of these will have a much more concentrated coffee flavor, which is exactly what you want!
Can I use evaporated milk instead of condensed milk?
You can, however, it will definitely dilute the taste. This is why using condensed milk is ideal.
Why did my homemade Baileys curdle?
Because alcohol is inherently acidic, mixing it with dairy products can occasionally lead to curdling or other textural issues.
The trick is to add the alcohol slowly and use something like heavy whipping cream or half and half instead of milk (even whole milk).
It may also be helpful to mix all of the other ingredients before adding the alcohol.
Baileys Drinks Serving Suggestions
- Rim your glass with chocolate syrup and serve with whipped cream.
- Sprinkle some cocoa powder over your drink.
- Make some of this homemade Baileys to give out as a Christmas gift (just be sure to store and preserve it properly!).
Other Recipes You’ll Love
- Whiskey Champagne Cocktails – These easy and bubbly cocktails taste like celebration. Great for birthdays, anniversaries, and for ringing in the new year!
- Pine Cone Cheese Ball – For a festive appetizer with a lot of character, serve a cheese balls with almonds made to look like a pine cone!
- Peppermint White Russians – Try using some of your homemade Baileys in these sweet and wintry cocktails.
- Deviled Eggs – This simple and classic deviled eggs recipe is great to serve as an appetizer or side dish.
Homemade Baileys Recipe
If you enjoy this easy recipe for homemade Baileys Irish cream, please be sure to rate it 5 stars below! And print this off or save it to your recipes folder!
Homemade Baileys Irish Cream Recipe
Creamy, coffee flavored Baileys is wonderful over ice, for cocktails, or added to your coffee or hot chocolate.
- 1 1/3 cup Irish Whiskey
- 1 1/3 cup Half and half cream
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 5 tbsp cold brew coffee or espresso shots
- 3 tbsp chocolate sauce
- Mix all ingredients in a tall pitcher.
- Stir well or shake.
- Serve over ice.
- Keep refrigerated after mixing.
- Store for up to 2 weeks.
- If you find your homemade Baileys curdling, try mixing all of the other ingredients before adding the whiskey. Be sure to add it slowly.
- Your Irish Cream will last for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 49Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 12mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g
Betty Meaney says
I Have made this Bailey recipe many times and love it now to try cheese ball
Hoping you will enjoy the Cheese Ball as much as you do the Baileys!