Make these easy wonton Taco Cups in a muffin tin and have a savory appetizer ready in under 30 minutes! Try these for Taco Tuesday!
Looking for a savory treat for happy hour or game day? These easy Wonton Taco Cups with Cheese and Beef will be a direct hit with your guests. Your bite sized appetizers will be ready in about 25 minutes so they are fast and easy to prepare.
These go perfectly with our Jimmy Dean Sausage Stars, another wonton wrapper appetizer. And if you’re expecting a crowd, why not make these 3 ingredient Grape Jelly Meatballs?
Why You’ll Love this Wanton Taco Cups Recipe
Taco cup appetizers are very popular and you can easily change up the toppings you use. With some mini muffin tins, you can easily prepare these crispy wonton cups and customize them with your favorite ingredients.
Satisfy your taco cravings with these yummy wonton appetizers, which are a great idea to serve at birthday parties, game day or any occasion you choose.
Wonton Taco Cups Ingredients
- Wonton Wraps – these will get nice and golden brown in the oven, and you should be able to find them in any grocery store.
- Browned Ground Beef – a staple ingredient for making tacos.
- Taco Seasoning – an easy way to quickly add lots of flavor to your ground beef.
- Cheddar Cheese (grated) – you can use other types of cheese, but cheddar is our favorite here!
- Sour Cream, Salsa, and Lettuce (finely chopped) – delicious toppings that are classic taco fix-ins.
How to Make Taco Cups
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef according to the directions on the taco seasoning packet or label.
- As it is cooking, stir the ground beef, breaking it into smaller pieces. Have the other ingredients at hand.
- Making the taco cups with wontons is simpler than you may think! First, spray some muffin tins with cooking spray or olive oil.
- Now create cups in each space with wonton wraps. Gently press the wraps into the pans. Use two wonton wraps per muffin cup to make a thicker base for the ground beef mixture to sit in.
- Using a large spoon, fill the cups with the taco seasoned ground beef mixture. Bake this in the oven for 8-10 minutes, then remove.
- Sprinkle cheese over each of the cups and then place the muffin tin back into the oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top each cup with sour cream, salsa & finely chopped lettuce.
- Add other toppings as desired, such as diced green onions, green chilies, and diced tomatoes instead of salsa.
- Carefully transfer the filled wonton tacos to a serving platter. Serve alongside our awesome Crown Royal Peach Shooters and this low calorie Skinny Bitch Cocktail.
What are wonton sheets made of?
Most wonton wrappers are made from a combination of flour, water, egg, salt, and cornstarch.
Can you bake wontons instead of frying?
Absolutely! As long as you coat them with a little bit of oil, they’ll still get nice and crispy in the oven and they’ll be healthier since they won’t be fried in lots of extra oil.
Can wontons be made ahead of time?
For classic wontons, you may be able to fill and fold them ahead of time. But these baked wonton cups are made a bit differently, so I wouldn’t recommend baking the cups until you’re also ready to add the other ingredients.
Popular Variations and Subsitutions
- Instead of beef, you could try diced cooked chicken for chicken wonton tacos.
- If you don’t have a mini muffin pan, you may be able to make slightly larger baked wontons. But if you enjoy these and plan on making more wonton cup recipes, the muffin tin will end up being a great investment.
- Baked wonton cups can be filled with a number of other fillings aside from taco meat – if you like shrimp, be sure to try these Shrimp Wonton Cups.
- Try these wontons with some chicken salad, or go the sweet route and make crispy cheesecake cups with cream cheese, sugar, and top with some berries.
- There are a number of substitutions for wonton wrappers that will achieve similar effects, like gyoza wrappers, shumai wrappers, and rice paper. If you can’t find wonton wrappers, experiment with other kinds until you find something you like!
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Pizza Wontons – Another tasty recipe that features wonton wrappers as a crispy edible cup. Customize with your favorite pizza toppings!
- Malibu Watermelon with Sparkling Ice – This sweet and fruity cocktail would be perfect to serve alongside your tasty wonton cups.
- Dill Pickle Dip – You’ll love this distinctly pickle-flavored dip that’s creamy, savory, and topped with bacon!
- You’ll love this fruity and tropical Pineapple Screwdriver, a simple but delicious twist on the classic cocktail!
- This Orzo Arugula Salad is a light and healthy side dish that combines sweet and savory ingredients for a delicious salad!
- Apple Cheesecake Wonton Cups – Try the dessert route with this autumnal dessert from Lemon Tree Dwelling.
Baked Wonton Cups Recipe
Easy Wonton Taco Cups
These wonton taco cups make a perfect appetizer or snack and it's easy to add your favorite toppings!
- Wonton Wraps
- 1lb Browned Ground Beef
- 1oz Taco Seasoning
- Cheddar Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare the ground beef according to the taco seasoning directions.
- Take a muffin tin and create cups using two wonton wraps per cup.
- Fill the cups with the taco seasoned ground beef.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with cheese.
- Place the muffin tin back into the oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with sour cream, salsa & lettuce.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 126Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 246mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 11g