These adorable Pizza Wontons are a savory handheld appetizer that puts a new spin on your classic pizza!
Take the familiar flavors of pizza and twist them into an individual treat that your guests will love. Simple to make and easy to customize to your own tastes, you’ll love these wonton appetizers.
For a real pizza party, serve alongside some Air Fryer Tortilla Pizzas to give people options and variety!
Why You’ll Love Wonton Pizza Cups
This fun and exciting appetizer is great for sharing, bringing on the go, serving at parties, or even as a cute main course for dinner!
With only 4 ingredients, you can prepare these pizza wontons in as little as 15 minutes from start to finish.
Kids and adults alike clamor for these crunchy and flavorful mini pizzas–these bite sized appetizers are sure to be a huge hit wherever you serve them!
Change up the toppings or even let your guests customize their own pizza cups. Also great as a fun and hands-on activity for the kids, these versatile wonton pizza bites will quickly become an all-time favorite!
Pizza Wonton Cups Ingredients
- Wonton Wrappers – provide a crispy and crunchy base for these pizza cups. You’ll be able to find them in the frozen section of most Asian grocery stores and typically in other larger supermarkets as well.
- Pepperoni – an easy way to add some savory and salty flavor and drive home the classic flavor of pepperoni pizza.
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese – perfect for its meltiness and mild flavor, Mozzarella is typically my first choice for making any kind of pizza.
- Pizza Sauce – make your own tomato sauce or go with something storebought pizza sauce –these pizza wontons will be yummy either way!
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Take a muffin tin and create cups using two wonton wraps per cup.
- Coat the bottom of each wonton cup with pizza sauce.
- Fill with mozzarella cheese.
- Cut each pepperoni slice into 4. Place several pepperoni pieces on top.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the edges of the baked wonton cups are golden brown and the cheese is melty.
What is the best cheese for pizza?
Mozzarella is typically the go-to when it comes to pizza. Its meltiness and mild flavor allows the sauce and toppings to really shine through.
If you want to switch things up, you could add or substitute for cheddar, provolone, colby jack, or even some buratta or ricotta.
What is a wonton wrapper made of?
These thin sheets are usually made from a simple mixture of flour, egg, and water.
Depending on the way they’re cooked, they’re actually not all that different from Asian egg noodles or even pasta.
What can I substitute for wonton wrappers?
If you can’t find them in the grocery store, look for gyoza wrappers, shumai wrappers, rice paper, spring roll wrappers, or dumpling wrappers.
If you prefer something that will be softer when baked, you could also make these by lining the muffin tin with something like crescent roll dough instead of a wonton wrapper. Just be aware that you may have to adjust baking time.
Are egg roll wrappers the same as wonton wrappers?
While made from very similar dough, the size and thickness sets them apart. Egg roll wrappers are typically thicker to withstand the hot temperatures of being deep fried in oil.
In a pinch, you may be able to use them interchangeably. Be aware of their differences and how to tweak your recipe in order to make it work.
Can you freeze wonton pizzas?
Yes! Much like any frozen pizza, these are great to make in large quantities and pop in the freezer to reheat for later. You’ll want to cook them in the oven at 350 degrees F until hot and crispy again.
Got any more Wonton Cup Recipes?
You bet! Try these yummy Taco Cups – perfect for Taco Tuesday.
Popular Variations and Substitutions
- Make these pizza wontons with all your favorite pizza toppings! Instead of pepperoni, top them with peppers, sausage, olives, mushrooms, or sprinkle with Italian seasoning for extra flavor.
- If you find your wontons don’t get as crispy as you like, it can be helpful to brush the edges with some olive oil.
- In the same vein, lightly spray the muffin tin with some cooking spray if you’re worried about the wontons sticking.
- These pizza cups can also be easily made in the air fryer using silicon cupcake liners. I prefer to make them in the oven so I can make more at one time, but an air fryer is a good option to reheat them or just to make a few for a quick snack.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Charcuterie Jars – Another individual-serve appetizers, these novelty jars take all of your charcuterie components and pack them into a cute and portable container.
- Peach Sangria – This sangria takes flavors of peach and lemonade and results in a nostalgic summery cocktail that’s so easy to make by the pitcher!
- Blue Lagoon Cocktail – You’ll love this cocktail for its beautiful color and sweet, tropical flavors that will take you directly to paradise.
- Fried Wontons – Have leftover wonton wrappers? Make these crispy and savory fried wontons, courtesy of Dinner at the Zoo!
Pizza Wonton Cups
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Take a muffin tin and create cups using two wonton wraps per cup.
- Coat the bottom of the cups with pizza sauce.
- Fill the cups with mozzarella cheese.
- Place several pepperoni on top of each cup.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 63Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 154mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 5g
originally published July 2022; latest update September 2022