These Sausage Stars are a fancy looking appetizer, perfect for happy hour!
We love these Sausage Stars! Easy to make, they only take 15 minutes to prepare.
Another 15 minutes for baking and they’re ready to be set out on a pretty serving platter and served to your guests. Serve these warm, right out of the oven!
Sausage Stars Appetizer Recipe
This recipe makes 40 Sausage Stars, but you don’t have to eat them all at one sitting. Although you might, because they are THAT good.
Freeze extra portions for next week if you have any left over. Just be sure to store in an airtight container.
Jimmy Dean Sausage Stars Ingredients
- pork sausage (we used Jimmy Dean pork sausage)
- shredded cheddar cheese
- packaged ranch dressing (Hidden Valley ranch dressing mix or other brand)
- wonton wrappers
- vegetable oil
- green onions
- red bell pepper
Preparing the Won Tons
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray, to lightly grease the whole pan.
Add a won ton wrapper to each muffin tin and press it into place. Be sure to have the sides of the wonton stick up on the sides of the muffin tin compartments.
You’re basically making wonton cups for the sausage filling to sit in.
Lightly brush the wonton wrappers with vegetable oil.
Bake the wontons in a 350 degree oven for 5 minutes or just until the corners begin to turn golden brown.
Keep an eye on them as you want to remove them before they turn too dark.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Once wonton wrappers have finished baking, carefully remove them from the muffin tins and place them onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
Set aside for filling later.
Preparing the filling
In a skillet over medium heat, brown sausage. One to two minutes before the meat is finished cooking, add the diced red bell pepper.
Finish cooking the sausage and pepper together.
In a large mixing bowl, prepare the ranch dressing according to the package directions.
Now add the cooked sausage and pepper mixture, shredded cheese, and chopped green onions. Stir well together to combine all the ingredients.
Spoon the cheesy ranch sausage mixture into wonton cups, about ¼ cup of mixture per cup.
Bake for 5-10 minutes in a 350 degree oven until warmed through and the cheese is melted. Transfer to a serving platter and you’re done!
This sausage star appetizer is best served right out of the oven.
Want to save time? Buy the fully cooked Jimmy Dean sausage crumbles at the store instead and save the cooking time.
Can I make the sausage stars with a mini muffin tin?
Yes you bet! Either a regular size muffin tin or a mini muffin pan will work for these appetizers.
What other kind of sausage can I use?
You can use any kind of pork sausage, such as breakfast sausage for this recipe; Italian sausage is hot and spicy and would taste delicious!
This Jimmy Dean Sausage Wontons recipe is a fancy looking appetizer that is perfect for entertaining!
Looking for more appetizer ideas?
This French Onion dip is perfect for dunking potatoes chips or veggies.
These Grape Jelly Meatballs are perfect for your Super Bowl party or game night.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add a wonton wrapper to each muffin tin. Make sure the sides stick up on the sides of the muffin tin compartments.
- Lightly brush the wonton wrappers with vegetable oil.
- Bake the wontons in a 350 degree oven for 4-5 minutes until the corners begin to turn golden brown.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Once wonton wrappers have finished baking, remove them from the muffin tins and place them onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- In a skillet, brown sausage. 1-2 minutes before you are finished, add red bell pepper to the skillet and finish cooking the sausage and pepper together.
- In a large mixing bowl, prepare the ranch dressing according to packet directions.
- Add to the dressing, the sausage and pepper mixture, shredded cheese, and chopped green onions.
- Stir well to combine all ingredients.
- Spoon the cheesy ranch sausage mixture into wonton cups, about ¼ cup of mixture per cup.
- Bake the sausage stars for 5-10 minutes in a 350 degree oven until warmed through and the cheese is melted.
- Serve right away, warm.
Be sure to use packaged ranch dressing, not bottled for this recipe.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 77Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 147mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 4g