These Sausage Stars are a fancy looking appetizer, perfect for happy hour!
Sausage Wonton Stars are a savory handheld appetizer that are perfect to serve for happy hour, game day, or any party you can think of! Ready in just 30 minutes, this fast recipe results in a delicious finger food that all of your guests will love!
Why You’ll Love this Sausage Wonton Stars Appetizer
We love this Sausage Stars recipe! Easy to make, they only take 15 minutes to prepare. Another 15 minutes for baking and they’re ready to be set out on a pretty serving platter and served to your guests. Serve these warm, right out of the oven!
This recipe makes 40 Sausage Stars, but you don’t have to eat them all at one sitting. Although you might, because they are THAT good.
Freeze extra portions for next week if you have any left over. Just be sure to store in an airtight container.
Jimmy Dean Sausage Stars Ingredients
- pork sausage – we used Jimmy Dean pork sausage.
- shredded cheddar cheese – gives your sausage cups a melty and cheesy quality that makes them so comforting.
- packaged ranch dressing – Hidden Valley ranch salad dressing mix is great, but any brand works!
- wonton wrappers – a perfect shortcut to make these sausage filled stars so easy to prepare.
- vegetable oil – ensures everything gets hot and crispy.
- green onions – provide some color contrast, as well as a subtle but delicious onion flavor that pairs well with the other flavors.
- red bell pepper – for a pop of red and additional flavor that goes well with the sausage.
How to Make Hidden Valley Ranch Sausage Stars
Prepare the Wontons
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray, to lightly grease the whole pan.
- Add a wonton wrapper to each muffin tin and press it into place. Be sure to have the sides of the wonton stick up on the sides of the muffin tin compartments. You’re basically making wonton cups for the sausage filling to sit in.
- Lightly brush the wonton wrappers with vegetable oil.
- Bake the wontons in a 350 degree oven for 5 minutes or just until the corners begin to turn golden brown. Keep an eye on them as you want to remove them before they turn too dark.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Once wonton wrappers have finished baking, carefully remove them from the muffin tins and place them onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Set aside for filling later.
Prepare the Filling
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown sausage. One to two minutes before the meat is finished cooking, add the diced red bell pepper.
- Finish cooking the sausage and pepper together.
- In a large mixing bowl, prepare the ranch dressing according to the package directions.
- Now add the cooked sausage and pepper mixture, shredded cheese, and chopped green onions. Stir well together to combine all the ingredients.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes in a 350 degree oven until warmed through and the cheese is melted. Transfer to a serving platter and you’re done!
- This sausage star appetizer is best served right out of the oven.
Can I make the sausage stars with a mini muffin tin?
Yes you bet! Either a regular size muffin tin or a mini muffin pan will work for these appetizers. This is an excellent way to quickly and easily make the wonton cups before loading them up with the sausage filling.
If you don’t have a mini muffin pan, you may be able to use silicone cupcake liners lined up on a baking sheet. Just be aware that cooking times can vary if you use different equipment.
What other kind of sausage can I use?
You can use any kind of pork sausage, such as breakfast sausage for this recipe; Italian sausage is hot and spicy and would taste delicious! You could even try a chorizo or a bratwurst to add different twists to this recipe and channel flavors from specific cultures.
What can I substitute for wonton wrappers?
If you’re unable to locate wonton wrappers, there are a number of other options that can achieve the same effect. Try gyoza wrappers, shumai wrappers, rice paper, or egg roll wrappers.
You can also make these sausage stars in phyllo cups, which are pre-made and will get nice and crispy in the oven.
Popular Variations and Substitutions
- Want to save time? Buy the fully cooked Jimmy Dean sausage crumbles at the store instead and save the cooking time.
- Other varieties of cheese also work great for this appetizer. Try mozzarella, pepper jack, Monterey jack, or a blend of your favorites!
- For more flavor, add additional ingredients like mushrooms, olives, or other colors of bell pepper.
- Baked wonton cups can be filled with a number of other fillings aside from taco meat – if you like shrimp, be sure to try these Shrimp Wonton Cups.
This Jimmy Dean Sausage Wontons recipe is a fancy looking appetizer that is perfect for entertaining!
Looking for more appetizer ideas?
- This French Onion Dip is perfect for dunking potatoes chips or veggies.
- These Grape Jelly Meatballs are perfect for your Super Bowl party or game night.
- A Blooming Quesadilla Ring is a fun and exciting finger food that’s perfect as an appetizer centerpiece at any gathering!
- Cranberry Brie Bites combine sweet cranberry sauce with creamy and savory brie cheese, all wrapped inside a crispy and golden phyllo shell.
- Try this Cream Cheese Fruit Dip from Dinner at the Zoo to pair with your favorite fruits on a yummy platter!
Hidden Valley Sausage Stars Appetizer
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add a wonton wrapper to each muffin tin. Make sure the sides stick up on the sides of the muffin tin compartments.
- Lightly brush the wonton wrappers with vegetable oil.
- Bake the wontons in a 350 degree oven for 4-5 minutes until the corners begin to turn golden brown.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Once wonton wrappers have finished baking, remove them from the muffin tins and place them onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- In a skillet, brown sausage. 1-2 minutes before you are finished, add red bell pepper to the skillet and finish cooking the sausage and pepper together.
- In a large mixing bowl, prepare the ranch dressing according to packet directions.
- Add to the dressing, the sausage and pepper mixture, shredded cheese, and chopped green onions.
- Stir well to combine all ingredients.
- Spoon the cheesy ranch sausage mixture into wonton cups, about ¼ cup of mixture per cup.
- Bake the sausage stars for 5-10 minutes in a 350 degree oven until warmed through and the cheese is melted.
- Serve right away, warm.
Be sure to use packaged ranch dressing, not bottled for this recipe.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 77Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 147mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 4g
originally published Jan 2022; latest update Oct 2022