When you need a satisfying and savory game day appetizer or mouth-watering side dish, make this delicious and simple Baked Ricotta Dip!
With creamy and melty cheese, a burst of citrus, and a hint of herbs, this super easy savory baked ricotta cheese dip is a foolproof appetizer that guests and family will adore! Serve warm with some bread for dipping and you’ve got a crowd pleaser on your hands.
The comforting flavors of this Italian ricotta dip will satisfy even the pickiest eaters. Best of all, it’s prepped and hot in just 20 minutes! Pair with an Italian Margarita and a toasted baguette for delicious results. You’ll love this hot and cheesy dip with ricotta cheese!
Why You’ll Love this Baked Ricotta Appetizer Recipe
What’s not to love about a cheesy appetizer like this Baked Ricotta Dip? Combine whole milk ricotta with Italian blend cheese, olive oil, lemon juice to cut through the creaminess, and some rosemary to pull it all together!
This dip is perfect to pair with some warm bread like this Cheesy Garlic Pull Apart Bread and a refreshing beverage. And if you’ve got a crowd, whip up a batch of this Honey Siracha Chicken dip, full of cheesy garlicy goodness!
Ideal for enjoying while watching the game, to serve at parties, or for an exciting side dish, this ricotta recipe is so easy and quick to make. With only a handful of ingredients and 20 short minutes, you can easily prepare this super rich and comforting dip that will be a huge hit no matter where you serve it!
Baked Ricotta Cheese Dip Ingredients
- Lemon Juice – a dash of acidic lemon juice will help to balance the rich creaminess of all the cheese.
- Italian Blend Shredded Cheese – typically includes Parmesan cheese, mozzarella, Romano, fontina, and Asiago.
- Ricotta Cheese – provides a rich and creamy base for this delicious dip.
- Salt and Pepper – for some added flavor.
- Olive Oil – helps your cheese dip get nice and golden brown in the oven.
- Fresh Rosemary – for a pop of color contrast and a nice aromatic finish.
- Bread – for dipping; a great option is a fresh baguette sliced into bite-sized pieces.
How to Make Simple Baked Ricotta Dip
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. Combine the Italian shredded cheese (saving some for garnish), ricotta, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Transfer ricotta mixture into a baking dish and sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese evenly over top. Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese has turned slightly golden brown.
- Garnish with rosemary and serve with bread.
Ricotta Cheese Dip FAQs
Can you substitute cream cheese for ricotta?
Yes, but be aware that cream cheese is generally thicker and creamier than ricotta and could alter the texture of this dip. If it becomes too thick to the point where you can’t scoop it, add a bit more oil.
When does ricotta cheese go bad? Can you preserve it?
A good ricotta cheese can last one to two weeks in the fridge after it’s been opened. Not sure whether your ricotta is still good to eat? Be on the lookout for strange odors, discoloration, or obvious molding.
Ricotta cheese can be frozen for up to two months or so. The best way to do this is to pack it well in a ziplock bag and squeeze any air out of the bag. When it comes time to use it again, allow the cheese time to thaw in the fridge. Let it sit in the fridge overnight if possible.
What does ricotta cheese pair well with?
There’s a wide variety of ingredients that can be paired with ricotta to enhance the flavor. Other cheeses like Parmesan and mozzarella are great options since they’re similarly mild cheeses with a creamy finish.
Ricotta is often found in dishes like lasagna, which means it pairs well with any kind of noodles, tomato-based products, and meats like ground beef and sausage. Other flavors that go well with ricotta are basil, citrus, sage, oregano, thyme, and nutmeg.
Popular Variations and Substitutions
- For additional garnish, use some fresh thyme for an even more herbacious finish.
- If you like your dip with a bit of heat, sprinkle the top with some red pepper flakes.
- To bring out more of the citrus flavor, top with a dusting of lemon zest or orange zest.
- If you can’t find an Italian cheese blend, use any combination of Parmesan, mozzarella, Romano, fontina, and Asiago cheeses.
- A few cloves of minced garlic can be mixed into the ricotta mixture to give your dip a sharp and delicious garlicky flavor.
- Other topping ideas include pine nuts, micro greens, coarse sea salt, chives, or an additional drizzle of olive oil.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Best Dip Recipes – For even more savory dip recipes that are great to serve as easy appetizers, check out this list of the best dip recipes!
- Fuzzy Navel Cocktail – This light and sweet cocktail combines the flavors of orange and peach for a refreshing and sippable beverage.
- Air Fryer Mini Potatoes – So easy to make in the air fryer, these mini potatoes are topped with sour cream and chives. Customize with your favorite baked potato fix-ins.
- Football Party Food – Looking for more appetizers to serve while watching the big game? Check out this roundup of dishes that are perfect for the occasion!
- Easy Homemade Lasagna – If you can’t get enough ricotta cheese, try this hearty homemade lasagna from Spend with Pennies.
Ricotta Cheese Dip Recipe
- 1 Tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Cup Italian Blend Shredded Cheese
- 15oz Ricotta Cheese
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Pepper
- 1 Tbs Olive Oil
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine the shredded cheese (while saving some for garnish), ricotta, lemon juice, salt & pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Transfer into a baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remaking shredded cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese has turned slightly golden.
- Garnish with rosemary & serve with bread.
- Top with thyme, pine nuts, red pepper flakes, and more!
- Cream cheese can be substituted for ricotta, but the dip may become overly thick.
- For best results, serve with a warm or toasted baguette that's been cut into bite sized pieces.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 170Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 543mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 11g