Make these tangy and tropical Jello Shots with Malibu Rum and enjoy a burst of refreshing watermelon flavor with a boozy kick!
Need a fun and fresh shooter for a summer party or any special occasion? Make these Jello shots using watermelon flavored rum for a sweet and fruity treat! You’ll love the gorgeous green color and the vibrant watermelon flavor.
Pair these with a batch of Smirnoff Peach Lemonade Jello Shots for the perfect party shot tray!
These shots are quick and easy to make, and the perfect way to please any crowd.
Top with a gummy watermelon candy for a fun garnish and some added sweet flavor. However you serve these, your guests are sure to love them!
Jello shots are the perfect way to celebrate the summer or bring the heat and fun of the season into any time. Make a batch of these watermelon jello shots and see for yourself!
Why You’ll Love Watermelon Rum Jello Shots
Need a quick, sweet treat with just the right amount of bite? Try these Jello shots with Malibu Rum! So easy to make, these tasty shots only require two major ingredients.
They’re bursting with fresh watermelon flavor and can be topped with gummy candies for a cute garnish.
These shots are ideal for pool parties, barbecues, and other summer gatherings! But you can serve them any time of year. This recipe is also great to use as a guide for other flavors of jello shots.
Feel free to get creative with the kinds of jello you use to customize the flavor of these shots to your liking. However you prepare them, these watermelon jello shots are sure to be a huge success!
More Jello Shot recipes:
Rum Jello Shots Ingredients
- Malibu Watermelon Rum – this unique variety of Malibu rum is infused with natural watermelon flavor for a summery spirit that’s excellent to use in shots.
- Watermelon Jello Powder – ensures that your Jello shots are packed with the refreshing taste of watermelon. Feel free to use another brand or another color, as long as the flavor is watermelon! Any of these brands will work.
- Gummy Watermelon Candies – this optional ingredient is the perfect finishing touch that will give your shots a quirky presentation and some extra watermelon candy flavor.
Helpful Tools and Supplies
- Condiment Cups – when making Jello shots, it’s a great idea to use some kind of plastic disposable cup instead of real shot glasses. Condiment cups often come with lids for easier transportation as well.
- Ladle – a great way to cleanly get your Jello mixture from the pot into the cups.
- Tray – store your condiment cups on a single tray to make them easy to move around.
How to Make Watermelon Jello Shots
Bring 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil. Pour in the watermelon Jello powder and stir until all dissolved. Add 1 1/2 cups of Malibu Watermelon Rum.
Transfer to condiment cups, then refrigerate until solid.
Garnish with gummy watermelon candies right before serving.
Is Malibu a strong rum?
No, in fact it’s fairly low in terms of alcohol volume where rum is concerned. Rum typically has at least 40% ABV, while Malibu spirits tend to sit around 20%-21% ABV.
In fact, classic Malibu is technically considered a coconut flavored liqueur rather than a rum because of its low alcohol content.
What alcohol is good in Jello shots?
The two most common options are vodka and white rum, as they pair well with a wide variety of Jello flavors. Vodka doesn’t have much of a taste so can be used in just about any flavor of Jello shots.
White rum often has notes of coconut or even banana, which means it may not go as well with all flavors of Jello, but can be used to enhance many types.
Using flavored vodka or rum is a great way to control the flavor of your Jello shots as well.
Can I use alcohol instead of water in Jello shots?
No, you’ll need to use a combination of water and whatever alcohol you choose. If you use exclusively alcohol, the Jello won’t set properly and you’ll end up with watery shots.
- Be sure to let the Jello powder fully dissolve to make sure you don’t end up with any clumps.
- Use a ladle to spoon the Jello mixture into your condiment cups. If you don’t have one, you could also transfer the mixture to a large glass measuring cup with a pouring spout for easy pouring.
- Give your shots at least 2 hours to firm up. I recommend leaving them in the fridge for closer to 4 hours if you can.
- Line up your condiment cups on some kind of cookie sheet or baking tray to catch any spills while pouring the Jello. If you have room, you can also transfer the whole tray to the fridge to make things easier.
- Don’t add the lids to the condiment cups until the Jello mixture has cooled. This will prevent condensation from messing up the presentation of your shots.
Popular Recipe Variations and Substitutions
- A watermelon flavored vodka can be used instead of watermelon rum, if you prefer.
- Other flavors of Jello that would pair well with watermelon Malibu: strawberry, peach, pineapple, lime, cherry. Try different combinations to see what tastes best!
- Take the presentation to the next level by halving a watermelon and scooping out the fruit. Pour the Jello mixture into the empty watermelon rind and allow it to set. Then, cut into smaller triangles to look like real watermelon wedges!
- This can be replicated on a smaller scale with lime rinds, though it may be a bit time consuming to empty out enough limes to hold your Jello mixture.
- If you can’t find watermelon rum, you could use a regular white rum and some kind of watermelon liqueur, like Dekuyper or even Midori.
- Another way to channel the colors of watermelon would be to add a layer of green Jello, then let it set and top with red or pink Jello.
Storage Tips for Jello Shots
- If using condiments cups, affix the lids properly to the cups when storing to prevent drying out.
- Jello shots will last several days in the fridge. I recommend serving them within the first 3 days or so.
- Freeze your Jello shots to extend their shelf life for a couple of days. The flavor and texture will both be different upon thawing, but if you need them to last longer this is a fine option.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Christmas Jello Shots – Bring some extra cheer to the holiday season with these festive shots that feature cherry and lime flavors.
- Margarita Jello Shots – This fun take on Jello shots from Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts takes the classic flavors of your favorite tequila cocktail and turns them into a fun shot!
Jello Shots with Malibu Rum
- 1 1/2 Cups Malibu Watermelon Rum
- 1 1/2 Cups Water
- Gummy Watermelon Candies
- 3.89oz Watermelon Jello powder
- Bring 1 1/2 Cups of water to a boil.
- Pour in the Watermelon Jello.
- Add 1 1/2 Cups of Malibu Watermelon Rum.
- Stir until Jello is all dissolved.
- Transfer to condiment cups.
- Refrigerate until solid
- Garnish with a gummy watermelon.
- Use watermelon vodka instead of rum if you prefer.
- Other flavors of Jello can be paired with the watermelon Malibu as well, like lime, cherry, or peach.
- Give your shots 2-4 in the fridge to properly set.
- Serve Jello shots within 3 days of making them for the freshest results.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 26Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 2mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 4gProtein: 0g