You’ll love these fun and festive Halloween Jello Shots, sweet and delicious and themed after Morticia from The Addams Family!
Fruity and a little spooky, these red jello shots are adorned with a gorgeous strawberry rose and a drizzle of edible black glitter gel. Super easy to make and fun to enjoy, these Morticia Addams shots will become a go-to when you’re tasked with preparing a creepy treat for any occasion during the Halloween season.
Pair with Beetlejuice-themed Halloween Margaritas for a scary good time!
Why You’ll Love These Fun Halloween Shots
Whether you need an exciting drink for a Halloween party, a boozy treat to enjoy while the kids trick-or-treat, or a fast and festive substitution for more formal Halloween cocktails, you’ll enjoy this red jello shot recipe!
With a beautiful strawberry rose on top and edible sparkle gel for extra flair, these Morticia Addams-themed shots will be a huge hit with guests.
Use your favorite flavor of red jello and rum for a delicious shot base, then decorate to your heart’s desire! This is a unique and fruity twist on jello shots and a guaranteed crowd pleaser.
Break out some plastic cups and strawberries and easily prepare these elegant but super fun Halloween jello shots!
Red Jello Shots Ingredients
- red jello mix – strawberry jello is a great choice here to pair with the strawberry rose, but you can use any flavor of red jello you like. Try cherry, raspberry, cranberry, or watermelon (which can have a slightly pink look to it depending on the brand).
- fresh strawberries – you’ll use these to create your own gourmet-looking strawberry roses.
- black sparkle gel – I like to use the kind by Wilton, but any brand of edible sparkle gel will work. Go for something dark in color to contrast the jello.
- rum – any rum will work here, so there’s no need to splurge on something super expensive.
- water – for making the jello.
- wood skewers – a way to hold the strawberries sturdy in the shots.
- condiment cups – whether you’re using condiment cups or plastic shot glasses, you want to use something disposable. This way, there’s no worries about collecting glasses or breaking anything at parties and gatherings.
- In a mixing bowl make red jello by mixing jello packet with one cup of boiling water until powder is dissolved. Then stir in 1/2 cup of cold water and 1/2 cup of rum. You can combine these in the same measuring cup and pour in all at once.
- Carefully pour the jello mixture into plastic condiment cups using a ladle. Place the cups in the fridge for up to 8 hours or until fully set.
- Cut the strawberries into roses. Make four large notches close to the fat end of the strawberry, then half-turn the strawberry and continue making notches up to the top until the fruit looks like a flower. You should end up with a product that looks like the strawberry shown below!
- Place a skewer into the bottom of the strawberry and cut it to fit the size of the cup you are using. Place into the jello.
- Decorate the edge with black sparkle gel.
Homemade Jello Shot FAQs
How can I turn these into Valentine’s Day jello shots?
These red jello shots are also perfect for date night or Valentine’s Day. Simply exclude the black glitter gel! The strawberry rose is a lovely romantic gesture.
You can also include a bit of whipped cream just around the strawberry for some extra sweetness and presentation.
Can I make jello shots ahead of time?
Yes! Jello shots can last in the fridge for 3-5 days before they start to lose their texture, so it’s easy to make them ahead of time.
You’ll want to wait until just before serving to add the strawberry roses and black glitter gel. You may also be able to slice the strawberries a day or so ahead of time and store covered in the fridge.
That being said, I do recommend waiting to slice the strawberries until you’re ready to insert them into the jello shots and serve.
What alcohol works best for jello shots?
Vodka is the classic choice since it doesn’t have much to offer in the way of flavor, which means the flavor of the jello shines through.
Other popular options are white rum, tequila, gin, or whiskey, which will infuse the shots with more of their own flavor.
Can you get drunk off jello shots?
If you have enough, sure! Even though they can taste like dessert, there’s definitely alcohol in there.
It’s a much lower concentration than most cocktails, but enough of them can definitely get you drunk, so be sure to enjoy responsibly.
Popular Variations and Substitutions
- If you aren’t a huge fan of rum, use cold water and vodka instead when it comes time to mix the jello. It should work in the same proportion, 1 cup boiling water, then 1/2 cup cold water and 1/2 cup vodka.
- These shots can also be made with other colors of jello if you want to channel other themes. If you use a combination of grape jello and orange jello, you can create a multi-colored jello shot tray with classic Halloween colors!
- You can also use this combination to make multi-colored shots. It will take some more time as you’ll have to wait for the jello to set in between, but you can make shots with an orange layer and a purple layer.
- A purple layer can also be added at the bottom of these red jello shots to bring a darker color into the mix.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- We have a few other fantastic jello shot recipes you’ll love:
- Crown Apple Jello Shots – Perfect for fall, these green jello shots have a sweet and apple-y flavor.
- Smirnoff Peach Lemonade Jello Shots – With the flavors of sweet peach and tart lemonade, these fun summery jello shots are garnished with a gummy peach ring!
- Halloween Margaritas – A spooky take on the iconic margarita! This Beetlejuice cocktail is perfect to serve alongside a scary movie marathon!
- Best Dip Recipes – Serve up one of these delicious and satisfying dip recipes at your next party.
- Spooky Snack Mix – Pair this fun and creepy snack mix from Geeks Who Eat with your Halloween jello shots!
Halloween Themed Jello Shots Recipe
Halloween Jello Shots - The Morticia
These elegant and spooky red jello shots are perfect for Halloween and channel the iconic energy of Morticia Addams!
- 1 - 6 oz. box red Jell-o
- 14 strawberries
- 1 tube black sparkle gel by Wilton
- white rum
- wood skewers
- 2.2 ounce condiment cups
- Make red jell-o as direct on package, replacing 1/2 cup cold water with 1/2 cup rum.
- Ladle into condiment cups.
- Place the jell-o in the fridge for up to 8 hours or until set.
- Cut the strawberry into a rose, by starting at the lower part of the strawberry and cutting a petal at each four ends of the strawberry.
- Then cut in between those on the next layer. Then cut the top.
- Place a skewer into the bottom of the strawberry and cut it to fit the size of the cup you are using.
- Place into the jello.
- Decorate the edge of each cup with black sparkle gel.
- Store in fridge until ready to serve.
- Be sure to make guests aware of the wooden skewers in the strawberries. They'll want to remove them before taking the jello shot itself!
- Get creative with layering your jello shots with other flavors. You can use grape jello to make a dark layer underneath the red for an even spookier look.
- Vodka can be used instead of rum if you prefer. Use the same amount along with the cold water.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 18Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 41mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 0g