This refreshing and flavorful Cuban Mojito Cocktail is the perfect blend of white rum, lime, and aromatic mint sprigs that result in a sweet and fizzy beverage!
With notable hints of lime and mint, this bubbly cocktail is the perfect way to cool off and perk yourself up. Extra sweetness from simple syrup makes this drink irresistible, and it’s so easy to make!
Pair it with some Easy Charcuterie Jars for a fun and tasty happy hour treat.
Why You’ll Love this Mojito Recipe
Using only a handful of simple ingredients, you can easily put together this refreshing and minty cocktail. It has delicious citrusy notes and added fizziness from lime sparkling water.
Plus, a dash of simple syrup provides extra sweetness that highlights the other flavors.
In fact, these mojitos are dangerous because you may not even taste the rum! This cocktail is perfect to whip up for your friends during happy hour or any time you need something light and bubbly as a pick-me-up at the end of the day.
Classic Cuban Mojito Recipe Ingredients
- Fresh Mint Leaves – provide a pop of green color and a distinct cooling effect from the minty flavor.
- Lime Juice – fresh lime juice is the best to use here, but feel free to use bottled if that’s easier.
- Simple Syrup – either storebought or homemade is perfect for a pop of added sweetness.
- Light Rum – we love to use Bacardí, which is a light Cuban rum which works perfectly for this mojito cocktail and many others!
- Lime Flavored Sparkling Water – adds more lime flavor and a nice fizzy lift.
- Ice Cubes – you’ll want to enjoy this cocktail ice cold!
- Lime Slice – for some extra lime flavor and a nice garnish.
- Place the mint leaves into a glass. Add in some freshly squeezed lime juice and muddle together.
- Pour in the simple syrup and add 1 shot of light rum. Fill the glasses with ice cubes.
- Top off with lime flavored sparkling water.
- Stir with a pretty green cocktail straw and garnish with lime slices.
Cuban Mojito FAQs
What is the difference between a mojito and a Cuban mojito?
It’s simple; a Cuban mojito is simply a mojito made with Cuban rum! A few examples of white Cuban rum are Bacardí, Havana Club and Wray & Nephew.
What is a mojito without mint called?
There isn’t a distinct name for a mojito without mint, but another drink that’s similar but doesn’t contain mint leaves would be a caipirinha, which is a Brazilian drink that features sugar and lime juice and a hard liquor called cachaça.
Is Bacardí rum a Cuban rum?
Yes, Bacardí Limited was founded in Cuba back in 1862 and was originally known for white rum, but has now expanded into over 200 brands and labels. The company had a building in Havana, Cuba, but abandoned this building in 1959 during the Cuban Revolution.
What is rum made from?
Most white rums are made from a combination of white cane sugar, molasses, yeast, and water.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Mermaid Water Cocktail – You’ll love the beautiful aquamarine color and sweet, tropical flavor of this unique and expressive cocktail.
- Berry Bad Day Cocktail – This simple cocktail is packed with raspberry flavor offset by sweet and nutty amaretto.
- Peach Lemonade Jello Shots – Made with Smirnoff’s special peach lemonade flavored vodka, these fun jello shots are garnished with adorable peach gummy rings.
- Mojito Lime Chicken Burrito Bowls – This nutritious recipe from Healthful Blondie is great for meal prep and a fantastic way to work the mojito flavors into your diet!
Popular Variations and Substitutions
- If you want a subtler and less lime-y cocktail, you can use a regular club soda or non-flavored sparkling water.
- Though a Cuban rum is important to make this a true Cuban Mojito, other rums like Puerto Rican or Caribbean will still be delicious in this drink. Don Q, for example, is the top-selling rum in Puerto Rico and would make a fantastic mojito.
- For a slightly healthier take on this cocktail, leave out the simple syrup. Of course, the result won’t be as sweet, but you’ll still have a refreshing and delicious beverage!
- You can create a sweet and sour rim on the glass by running a lime wedge around the edge and rimming the glass in sugar. For more lime flavor, you can even mix some lime zest into the sugar.
Authentic Cuban Mojito Recipe
- 8 Mint Leaves
- 2 Tbsp Lime Juice
- 2 Tbsp Simple Syrup
- 2 Ounces Light Rum
- Lime Flavored Sparkling Water
- Ice Cubes
- Lime Slice (Garnish)
- Place the mint leaves into a glass.
- Squeeze in the fresh lime juice & muddle together.
- Pour in the simple syrup & the light rum.
- Add ice cubes.
- Top off with lime flavored sparkling water.
- Stir with a straw.
- Garnish with lime slices.
- While a Cuban rum is crucial to make this a true Cuban mojito, feel free to use any white rum to achieve similar results.
- Rim the glass with some lime juice and sugar mixed with lime zest for added sweetness and lime flavor.
- Exclude the simple syrup for a more subtle drink that's a touch healthier.