This air fryer bang bang shrimp recipe will become a favorite treat you’ll serve again and again.
This Bang Bang Shrimp appetizer is so easy to make and so very tasty! Plus, it’s quick to make – so whip up a batch of these 20 minute Bang Bang Shrimp to serve at happy hour.
These keto bang bang shrimp go great with a cold glass of this Peach Lemonade Vodka Seltzer
Or maybe you would rather make up a pitcher full of our Spiked Southern Peach Lemonade?
Air Fryer Bang Bang Shrimp
Instead of deep frying shrimp in oil, try these air fryer shrimp instead for a healthier alternative. And this recipe is so easy and fast to make!
Serve these air fryer shrimp skewers as an appetizer for happy hour, or as a meal! Just serve alongside rice and a green salad and maybe a loaf of sourdough bread for a full meal.
You can use frozen shrimp for this recipe; just remove from the freezer and allow to thaw before getting started.
Bang Bang Shrimp Recipe Ingredients
- Large Shrimp – peeled and deveined, with the tails still on.
- Mayonnaise – provides a creamy base for your bang bang sauce.
- Sour Cream – gives the bang bang sauce a delicious tanginess and added creamy texture.
- Chili Garlic Sauce – a secret ingredient that immediately adds lots of bold flavor and heat to this signature sauce.
- Honey – for some natural sweetness and a slightly sticky consistency.
- Dijon Mustard – adds a spicy and sharp flavor that pairs well with the other ingredients.
- Small Wooden Skewers – for serving and air frying.
How to Make Air Fryer Bang Bang Shrimp
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees. Slide 4 shrimp onto each of the small wooden skewers.
- Begin making the Bang Bang sauce. In a bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, sour cream, chili garlic sauce, sugar free honey and Dijon mustard. You could also use sweet chili sauce, if you prefer. Stir to combine well.
- Separate the sauce, reserving half of it in a separate dish. Brush ½ of the sauce onto both sides of the shrimp. Be sure to coat the shrimp well.
- Place the bang bang shrimp in air fryer basket, and cook for 4-5 minutes. Turn skewers over and cook for another 5 minutes until the shrimp are cooked.
- Remove the shrimp skewers from the air fryer and set them on a serving platter. Garnish with some fresh chopped parsley if desired.
- Serve with the extra Bang Bang sauce on the side for dipping.
Bang Bang Shrimp FAQs
Can I use frozen shrimp?
Yes you sure can use frozen shrimp! Just remove from the freezer and let the shrimp thaw before coating with sauce.
Can I use breaded shrimp to make Bang Bang Shrimp?
You bet! Air fry the breaded shrimp and just serve the bang bang sauce along the side for dipping. Panko breadcrumbs work well in this recipe.
What can I substitute with shrimp in cooking?
Shrimp or larger prawns work best for this air fryer recipe, but if you want to try other seafood, check out this list of potential substitutions.
What is Bang Bang Sauce?
This bold and flavorful sauce is made popular by the chain Bonefish Grill with their Bang Bang Shrimp appetizer.
Typically made from a combination of mayo, Thai chili sauce, sriracha, and honey, this Thai-inspired sauce is packed with vibrant flavors that bring a balance of sweet and savory with the perfect amount of heat!
Popular Variations and Substitutions
- Try this air fryer Bang Bang Shrimp recipe substituting sriracha sauce or sweet chili sauce for the chili garlic sauce.
- Garnish with parsley, green onions, or chives.
- This shrimp can also be air fried plain and then served with the sauce on the side if you want your guests to be able to control the amount of sauce they’re eating.
More Keto Appetizer Recipes
- Oven Baked Jalapeno Chicken Poppers are a healthier version of the classic appy that still pack in lots of satisfying and bold flavors.
- Yummy Bacon Wrapped Cabbage Dippers combine healthy cabbage with delicious bacon for a balanced and keto friendly appetizer that you’ll love! Perfect choice for bang bang shrimp sides dish.
- Light and Fruity Strawberry Shortcake Mini Desserts are served in individual shot glasses for an adorable and portable dessert that’s perfect for parties.
Even More Recipes You’ll Enjoy!
- These spicy Nashville Hot Wings have a time saving secret in the recipe! Plus, they are also made in an air fryer!
- These oven baked Jalapeno Chicken Poppers are great for cocktail time!
- How about a 5 minute personal Tortilla Pizza made in the air fryer?
- These Shrimp Salad Rolls served with peanut dipping sauce are an easy and healthy treat for lunch anytime.
- For a hearty and healthy main course featuring shrimp, try this delicious Shrimp Scampi Without Wine from Dizzy Busy and Hungry!
- 1 lb. Large shrimp peeled and deveined with the tails on
- 2 Tbsp. Mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp. Sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. Chili garlic sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Sugar free honey
- 1 tsp. Dijon
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees.
- Slide 4 shrimp onto each of the small wooden skewers.
- In a bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, sour cream, chili garlic sauce, sugar free honey and Dijon mustard. Stir to combine well.
- Separate the sauce in half. Set half aside.
- Brush ½ of the sauce onto both sides of the shrimp.
- Place the shrimp into the air fryer, and cook for 4-5 minutes per side.
- Serve with the extra sauce on the side for dipping if desired.
- Substitute sriracha sauce for the chili garlic sauce if you like.
- This shrimp can be air fried plain and served with the sauce on the side.
- You can also air fry breaded shrimp and either serve it with Bang Bang Sauce on the side or with the shrimp tossed in the sauce after air frying.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 246Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 247mgSodium: 1295mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 0gSugar: 11gProtein: 26g