A Ranch Water Cocktail is refreshing drink made from tequila and lime juice and Topo Chico mineral water, perfect for cooling off on a hot day!
If you love tequila, this simple but delicious cocktail is for you! Just like my Sparkling Tequila Kiss, this is a tequila based cocktail with just a few other ingredients and results in a light and fizzy drink that’s sure to be a crowd pleaser–or perfect for one!
Why You’ll Love this Cocktail
You may be wondering, what is Ranch Water? This Texas-style drink is a highball tequila cocktail that hails from West Texas.
It’s called ranch water due to the claim that it was invented by a rancher in Texas back in the 1960’s.
Because of the combination of lime and tequila, it’s somewhat reminiscent of a margarita, but with a nice carbonated lift from the sparkling water and less sweetness.
This drink is incredible for beating the heat or for when you want something light and refreshing.
Pair it with Smoked Salmon Puff Pastry for happy hour or a cocktail party and enjoy this iconic summer cocktail!
Texas Ranch Water Recipe Ingredients
- tequila – when it comes to the best tequila for ranch water, Casamigos comes to mind, but we like using Epsolon Blanco for ours.
- Topo Chico mineral water – this sparkling water is sourced and bottled in Monterrey, Mexico, and many argue this cocktail isn’t truly ranch water without it!
- fresh lime slices – you’ll use these for garnish, but you can also squeeze some fresh lime juice into your cocktail.
- margarita salt – this is a coarse salt that dissolves quickly in the mouth for a quick salty burst that enhances the flavor of your drink.
- ice cubes – you’ll want to serve your cocktail ice cold!
How to Make Ranch Water Cocktails
- Wet the rim of a margarita glass or highball glass and smother it in margarita salt. Fill with ice cubes.
- Add the tequila; you’ll only need about 1 shot. Top off with the mineral water.
- Garnish with a lime wedge.
Ranch Water FAQ’s
What does Ranch Water taste like?
This cocktail has been likened to a margarita due to the combination of tequila and lime, but the overall flavor is much less sweet and a bit lighter thanks to the sparkling water.
What’s so special about Topo Chico?
Sourced directly and exclusively from Cerro del Topo Chico, this sparkling mineral water comes directly from a natural spring on the mountain. This means it’s naturally carbonated at the source (though extra carbonation is added).
The drink is popular especially in Mexico and Texas and is sold in a small variety of flavors. There are also hard seltzers available that are made with Topo Chico.
How can I turn this into a Spicy Ranch Water drink?
To give this drink an extra spicy kick, just muddle a few slices of jalapeno pepper in the bottom of your glass before preparing your cocktail.
If you like it really spicy, be sure to leave the seeds in the jalapenos. For an extra kick, you can rim your glasses with Tajin instead of salt, which is a chili lime seasoning that will pair well with the jalapeno flavor.
Popular Variations and Substitutions
- If you want a little bit of extra sweetness, add some agave or even a bit of simple syrup.
- You can also use a sweet liqueur like Grand Marnier.
- Topo Chico offers flavored mineral water, so try this drink with their twist of lime, twist of grapefruit, or twist of tangerine varieties to switch up the flavors in this cocktail.
- Using extra lime juice in your ranch water is a great way to add some natural flavor.
- Try other kinds of tequila like mezcal to customize this drink to your tastes.
- In a pinch, other kinds of sparkling mineral water will also get the job done, but a true ranch water cocktail is made with Topo Chico.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Poor Man’s Margarita – Using limeade, this more affordable margarita doesn’t sacrifice flavor or quality!
- Best Dip Recipes – This comprehensive roundup of dip recipes is exactly what you need to prepare for your next happy hour or cocktail party.
- Bang Bang Shrimp – Ready in just 20 minutes, you’ll love this flavorful and tangy shrimp appetizer.
- Air Fryer Tortilla Pizzas – These air fryer personal pizzas are quick and simple to prepare in the air fryer, and they’re so customizable!
Texas Ranch Water Recipe
- Wet the rim of a glass and smother it in margarita salt.
- Fill a glass with ice cubes.
- Pour in one shot of tequila.
- Top off with carbonated water.
- Garnish with lime slices.
- If you like your drink sweeter, use agave or simple syrup.
- To make a spicy ranch water, muddle some jalapeno slices in the bottom of your glass and rim with Tajin.
- Try the varities of Topo Chico that are flavored to subtly alter the taste of your cocktail with more lime, grapefruit, or tangerine.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 343Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1017mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 2gSugar: 21gProtein: 1g