Filling and loaded with flavor, this Baked Italian Sausage Baguette is a crowd-pleasing appetizer that everybody will love!
With lots of delicious peppers and onions and made from Italian sausage links, this savory appetizer is an excellent way to please all of your guests no matter the occasion!
Serve them alongside a fun and festive drink like this Mermaid Water and you’ve got a recipe for a perfect happy hour!
Italian Sausage Baguette Appetizer
If you’re looking for an appetizer with classic flavors that’s sure to be a hit, you’ve got to try this Sausage Baguette appetizer!
With lots of filling and flavorful ingredients, this is a great dish to serve at parties, for holidays, or as a snack during game day.
These tasty sausage sandwiches are easily customizable and can be cut into a variety of sizes, making them ideal to serve as a snack or even as a meal.
Your friends, family, and any guests will come back for seconds and more of these delicious baked sausage appetizers.
- Italian baguette – this is the best kind of bread to form the base of these sausage sandwiches.
- Italian style sausage, ground – pairs perfectly with the peppers and onions.
- red, orange, and yellow bell peppers – a variety of peppers results in a more colorful dish; you can cook them diced or cut into strips.
- green onion – this recipe uses green onions instead of a classic white or yellow to get that subtle onion-y flavor.
- mushrooms – provides some extra nutrition and a delicious earthy flavor.
- heavy cream – ensures that the cheesy sauce stays nice and thick.
- basil – adds some green color and a refreshing, herbal flavor
- salt & pepper
- mozzarella cheese shreds – any shredded mild cheese will do, but mozzarella is the one we prefer!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a large baking sheet pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Cut the baguette rolls lengthwise as shown to create a bread shell, careful to not cut all the way through the bread at any point.
- In a skillet cook the sausage until no longer pink with the bell peppers and mushrooms, adding in green onions for the last couple of minutes.
- In a bowl whisk eggs, heavy cream, basil, and salt & pepper. Stir cooked sausage and 1 cup of mozzarella into the egg mixture.
- Spoon into the bread sheet. Top with remaining cheese. Bake 35-40 minutes in preheated oven until the center is set.
- Let stand 15-20 minutes to set. Slice, serve, and enjoy!
Baked Italian Sausage Baguette FAQs
What do you eat with Italian sausage sandwiches?
Serving this appetizer with a vegetable on the side is a great way to turn it into a full-out meal. Serve with your favorite sautéed vegetables; we recommend broccoli rabe or zucchini.
You could also serve with a side of mashed potatoes or potato wedges, or even a delicious homemade mac and cheese!
Do you cook Italian sausage in the casing?
Yes, but this recipe calls for ground sausage, which doesn’t come in a casing. You can try to use Italian sausage links instead of ground sausage for this appetizer, but you may need to adjust cooking times to adjust for the difference in shape.
What’s the difference between Italian and regular sausage?
It typically comes down to the seasonings used. In particular, Italian sausage often includes fennel, which gives the sausage a slight flavor akin to licorice. This sets it apart from other kinds of sausage.
Popular Variations and Substitutions
- Drizzle the baguette with some olive oil and even sprinkle over some seasonings like garlic salt and pepper to pack in even more flavor to your sausage baguettes.
- Spoon some of your favorite marinara sauce over top.
- For a variation with less saturated fat use ground turkey or chicken instead of sausage.
- Try different combinations of cheese (like cheddar, provolone, or Swiss).
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Easy Southwest Corn Dip – An easy dip recipe that can be served either warm or cold.
- Easy Nashville Hot Wings – Quick and satisfying, these hot wings have a shortcut that makes them so easy to make.
- Crown Royal Apple Cranberry Ginger Ale – Festive, fun, and fizzy, this sweet cocktail is great for any occasion!
- Sauteed Broccoli Rabe – This recipe from Love and Lemons is the perfect accompaniment for this sausage baguette recipe.
Sausage Baguette Appetizer Recipe
- 1 Italian or French baguette
- 1 lb Italian sausage, ground
- 1 cup of mixed red, orange, and yellow bell peppers, diced
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup green onion, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese shreds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper
- Cut the bread as shown in the photo to create a bread shell
- In a skillet cook the sausage with the bell peppers and mushrooms, adding in green onions for the last 2 minutes
- In a bowl whisk eggs, cream, basil, and salt & pepper
- Stir sausage and 1 cup of cheese into the egg mixture
- Spoon the mixture into the bread sheet
- Top the mixture with remaining cheese
- Bake 35-40 minutes until the center is set; remove from oven.
- Let stand 10-15 minutes to cool and set before slicing and serving.
- Use ground turkey or chicken for less fat content.
- Switch up the kind of cheese used to change the flavor profile.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 458Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 841mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 21g