This Bahama Mama Cocktail is a sweet and refreshing drink that’s bursting with tropical flavor, perfect to transport yourself somewhere warm and pleasant with just a few sips!
Perfect for fans of drinks like the Tequila Sunrise, this Bahama Mama utilizes three different kinds of rum and a cocktail of fruit juices for a complex and satisfying drink! The distinct coconut flavor is highlighted by pineapple and citrus.
This fruity and tropical Bahama Mama combines three different kinds of rum with a delicious blend of fruit juices for a strong and refreshing cocktail!
Best of all, this drink is easy to make. You’ll feel like a professional bartender putting together this boozy and juicy cocktail, and you can garnish it with your choice of fruit for a fun presentation! Just like this Dragonberry Rum Cocktail, a Bahama Mama is the perfect way to take your favorite rum to a new level.
Why You’ll Love this Bahama Mama Drink
Make this super easy Bacardi Bahama Mama for a tropical experience in a glass! In just five minutes, you can put together this impressive and refreshing cocktail that’s sure to impress guests. Great to serve for happy hour, game night, or just to sip after a long day.
If you’re a fan of rum, this cocktail is for you. It combines three different varieties, giving your Bahama Mama a unique and complex flavor profile.
The alcohol is balanced out by three different kinds of fruit juice, as well as a splash of grenadine for color and extra sweetness. This fun cocktail tastes like a vacation!
Bahama Mama Ingredients
- Dark Rum – for a hint of spicy flavor and that classic smoky-sweet rum taste.
- Light Rum – adds a sweeter and more subtle rum flavor.
- Coconut Rum – gives this drink its coconut flavoring which pairs well with the fruit juices and enhances the flavor of the other rums.
- Pineapple Juice – just one of several fruit juices that add sweetness and balance out all of the rum.
- Orange Juice – provides a citrus twist that harmonizes well with the other fruity flavors.
- Lemon Juice – plays well with the orange juice and adds another dimension of tart citrus flavor.
- Dash Grenadine – gives your drink a gorgeous color, as well as some additional sweetness.
- Orange Slice – for garnish.
- Maraschino Cherries – additional garnish that adds a pop of bold color.
- Ice Cubes – you’ll want to enjoy this drink ice cold!
How to Make a Bahama Mama
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice cubes.
- Pour in coconut rum, dark rum, and light rum.
- Add the pineapple juice, orange juice, lemon juice and grenadine. Shake well.
- Pour into a hurricane glass with ice. Or use these cute Mason Jar glasses with handles. Garnish with orange slices and Maraschino cherries.
Can I serve this as a Bahama Mama frozen cocktail?
Absolutely! Combine all of the ingredients in a blender instead of a cocktail shaker. Using crushed ice may be helpful here.
Then just blend everything up until it resembles a slushie and pour into glasses! This is a great way to make larger quantities of this cocktail to share.
What is the difference between a Mai Tai and a Bahama Mama?
These cocktails are very similar in their ingredients, and some of the difference comes down to garnish. A Mai Tai is typically served with lime, whereas Bahama Mamas are garnished with cherries.
Another difference is that sometimes the Bahama Mama will include vodka, whereas a Mai Tai is nearly always exclusively rum.
What percent alcohol is Bahama Mama cocktail?
Because this cocktail uses 3 different kinds of rum, it’s a fairly strong beverage with a somewhat high ABV. If you take the average of all of the liquors used, you end up somewhere around 10% or 11% ABV.
This is a fruity drink that goes down easy, so keep in mind that each cocktail is about as strong as a glass of wine.
What’s in a Bahama Mama?
A typical Bahama Mama contains dark rum, coconut rum, orange juice, pineapple juice, and crushed ice. This version of the cocktail adds some additional flavor and strength with the light rum, lemon juice, and grenadine.
Popular Variations and Substitutions
- Some people also like to include a splash of coffee liqueur in their Bahama Mama. This will add a certain earthiness to balance out sweetness that otherwise may seem cloying or overbearing, and the coffee flavor plays well with some of the spicier notes of the rum.
- For additional garnish, use a pineapple wedge or leaf, fun colored straw, paper umbrella, or a twist of citrus peel.
- If you’d prefer a cocktail with less strength, leave out the light rum.
- Instead of grenadine, you can use a splash of the syrup the store bought cherries come in.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Rum Coconut Milk Cocktail – A great way to enjoy rum in the winter time, this unique cocktail featuring coconut milk is great to eat with Christmas cookies but can be enjoyed any time of year!
- Banana Rum Cake – With rum infused cake and caramelized bananas, this boozy dessert is a must-try for any rum enjoyer.
- Hot Buttered Rum – Warm, comforting, and rich, this classic cocktail is perfect to serve up during the holidays and throughout the colder months.
- Dragon Fruit Cocktail – Combine delicious Dragonberry rum with fruit juice and fresh dragon fruit for a unique and gorgeous cocktail that’s sure to become an instant favorite.
- Mai Tai Cocktail – For a similar cocktail with a slightly different flavor profile, try this delicious recipe from A Couple Cooks!
Bahama Mama Recipe
- Fill a shaker with ice cubes.
- Pour in dark rum, light rum & coconut rum.
- Add the pineapple juice, orange juice, lemon juice & grenadine.
- Shake well.
- Pour over ice.
- Garnish with orange slices & cherries.
- Add a splash of coffee liqueur to broaden the flavor palette and balance out some of the sweetness.
- The light rum can be excluded for a drink that isn't as strong.
- Use pineapple wedges, lemon slices, mint, paper umbrellas, or festive straws for addition garnish.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 387Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 9mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 1gSugar: 20gProtein: 1g