This warm and comforting Hot Buttered Rum cocktail is a delicious seasonal beverage that you’ll love sipping and sharing with your loved ones during the holiday season!
When you need something with bold and festive flavors, this easy hot buttered rum drink does just the trick! With brown sugar, nutmeg, and cloves, all mixed with smooth butter and dark rum, this is a drink that will warm you from the inside out.
And if you need something to cool you off after, make one of these Peppermint White Russian cocktails!
Why You’ll Love this Rum Cocktail
Looking for a special cocktail to enjoy around the holidays? Try this spiced hot buttered rum recipe! A delicious combination of warm and wintry spices with butter and brown sugar, then topped with hot water and dark rum.
This is a great cocktail to enjoy around the fire, while trimming the tree, or as a rich and warming treat after a delicious meal.
Top with some whipped cream and a dusting of cinnamon for a beautiful presentation! This is a must-try cocktail for the holiday season. Pair with a sweet dessert or hearty dinner for the ultimate comforting experience.
Kraken Hot Butter Rum Ingredients
For The Mix
- Brown Sugar – provides a deep and complex sweetness.
- Unsalted Butter – gives your cocktail its smooth and buttery flavor.
- Cinnamon – a warm spice that pairs perfectly with the spiced rum.
- Nutmeg – nutty and delicious, nutmeg is a great companion to cinnamon.
- Cloves – with a subtle balance of sweet and bitter, this is the perfect way to round out the festive flavors of this beverage.
- Vanilla Extract – adds a bit of extra sweetness and a light vanilla flavor.
For The Cocktail
- Hot Water – helps get your drink nice and warm without the need to heat the rum and cook off any alcohol.
- Mix (instructions above)
- Dark Rum – I like to use Kraken Rum; they have a really tasty black spiced rum that’s perfect to make this a Hot Buttered Kraken Rum recipe!
- Whipped Topping (optional)
- Cinnamon (optional)
- Cinnamon Stick (optional)
How to Make Hot Buttered Rum?
- Place brown sugar and butter in a microwavable Pyrex bowl. Microwave for 1 minute. Whisk in cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and vanilla.
- To make the cocktail add two tablespoons of the batter with 2/3 cup hot water. Stir and add in rum. Stir. Add a cinnamon stick.
- If you like, top with whipped topping and cinnamon. Store any leftover batter in an airtight container in the fridge.
Where is Kraken rum made?
Kraken rum is distilled from molasses that that’s been aged at the Angostura Distillery in Trinidad. The Kraken rum price is about $20 for a 750 mL bottle. If you really enjoy it, you can also purchase a Kraken black spiced rum 1.75L bottle for under $30.
Is Kraken rum gluten free?
Is is! Kraken rum is also free of wheat, nuts, lactose, and gluten, and it’s also vegan!
Does hot butter rum mix need to be refrigerated?
Yes, because there is butter in the “batter,” it’s important that you keep it in the fridge when you’re not using it. But you can make large amounts of it and keep it around, then easily make a hot rum drink whenever you like!
Is a hot toddy and a hot buttered rum the same thing?
Sometimes the terms are use interchangeably, but a hot toddy is typically made with honey and lemon, along with various spices. This cocktail is a more rich and buttery take on the cocktail that has less of a refreshing citrus flavor and more of a comforting and sweet one.
Can you buy hot buttered rum batter?
Yes! You can buy the butter mixture pre-made at many stores, then simply combine it with rum and boiling water to quickly make a delicious hot cocktail.
Popular Variations and Substitutions
- Make this a hot apple cider cocktail and add a delicious fruity flavor!
- To turn this into a rich and boozy dessert, add some vanilla ice cream and make a buttered rum float. Ice cream can also be used for the butter batter for extra sweetness and creaminess.
- For more flavor, include some allspice, a pinch of salt, or even some pumpkin pie spice to give your cocktail a distinctly autumnal blend of flavors.
- If you like it really sweet, you can also add some honey.
- Another way to make the flavors more complex is to use salted butter instead of unsalted.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Butterscotch Schnapps Apple Cocktail – This cocktail tastes like drinking a caramel apple and is perfect for the fall!
- Christmas Lights Cookies – You’ll love these delightfully decorated sugar cookies that look like colorful strings of Christmas lights.
- Amaretto Chocolates – Great as an edible gift or as a treat for Valentine’s day or date night, these boozy chocolates pair well with your favorite wine.
- White Chocolate Bark – With only 4 ingredients, this sweet chocolate bark is a great homemade gift. It combines sweet chocolate with bold and bitter coffee beans for a delicious pairing!
- Coconut Bourbon Eggnog – This vegan twist on the old classic is a perfect cocktail to serve for the holiday season.
- Rum Cake – Have leftover rum? Use it to make this delicious cake from Averie Cooks!
Hot Rum Cocktail Recipe
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons batter
- 2 ounces dark rum
- Whipped topping for topping
- Cinnamon for topping
- Place brown sugar and butter in a microwavable Pyrex bowl. Microwave for 1 minute.
- Whisk in spices and vanilla.
- To make the cocktail add two tablespoons of the batter with 2/3 cup hot water.
- Stir and add in rum. Stir again.
- Top with whipped topping and cinnamon.
- For garnish, use a dollop of whipped cream, ground cinnamon, and a cinnamon stick.
- If you're enjoying your beverage during the fall (or any time!), hot apple cider is a great substitute for hot water.
- Add honey for some extra sweetness.
- More flavor can also be achieved with salt and allspice.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 351Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 46mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 2gSugar: 61gProtein: 0g