With the perfect blend of sweet, fizzy, and tart, this delicious Paloma Cocktail is an excellent drink to serve alongside a celebratory brunch or any special occasion meal!
Combining blanco tequila with the citrus flavors of grapefruit and lime juice, this cocktail is the delicious and slightly bitter cousin of the margarita! With the addition of grapefruit soda for some extra fizz and flavor, this easy and refreshing Paloma is an easy drink that will impress any guest.
Pair it with some delicious appetizers or serve it alongside a nice brunch for a light cocktail that’s sure to satisfy! And if you love tequila cocktails, you also have to try this Apple Cider Margarita, perfect as a festive drink during the colder months!
Why You’ll Love this Paloma Recipe
With only 4 ingredients and a couple minutes of prep, you can easily put together this cocktail with its signature bittersweet grapefruit tang! Combine the distinct fruit with your favorite tequila, some freshly squeezed lime juice, and a dash of carbonated grapefruit soda and you’ve got yourself a delicious drink.
With a distinctly alcoholic taste and smooth finish, this tequila cocktail is perfect for a boozy treat with brunch. The slightly bitter and sour flavor of the grapefruit makes a refreshing companion to all of your favorite breakfast foods.
Serve as an alternative to mimosas. Any fans of tequila drinks and grapefruit will adore this delicious and distinct cocktail!
Paloma Cocktail Ingredients
- Tequila – we like to use the blanco tequila from Espolòn, but any silver/blanco tequila you like for cocktails will be perfect.
- Fresh Lime Juice – using fresh citrus juice is the perfect way to give this cocktail a refreshing zing.
- Fresh Grapefruit Juice – store bought juice will work in a pinch, but freshly squeezed will always yield more authentic results!
- Grapefruit Soda – this adds some extra grapefruit flavor, as well as some sweetness and carbonation.
- Ice Cubes – you’ll want to enjoy your Paloma cocktail ice cold!
- Grapefruit Wedge – for garnish.
Paloma Cocktail Recipe
- Fill a pretty highball glass with ice cubes. Squeeze in the lime juice.
- Pour in the tequila. Top off with grapefruit juice and grapefruit soda.
- Garnish with a grapefruit slice and lime wedge.
What is Paloma in Spanish?
The Spanish word “paloma” translates to dove. According to paloma cocktail history, the reason this name was chosen for the drink is likely a mix-up between the words “paloma” and “pomelo,” which is the Spanish word for grapefruit and has a similar sound and spelling.
What tequila is best in a Paloma?
Espolòn is a great brand of tequila that offers a quality liquor for an affordable price point. Any blanco tequila you like will work well in this cocktail, and if you’re feeling experimental you can even try it with mezcal for a unique and smoky finish.
What is the most popular drink in Mexico?
You’ll also find a wide variety of Mexican wines and craft beers, as well as more specific drinks like micheladas and agua frescas.
Popular Paloma Cocktail Variations and Substitutions
- For a more subtle cocktail, you could use a flavored sparkling water or something flavorless like club soda.
- Adding some sea salt or kosher salt can provide a delicious extra layer of flavor to your cocktail. Rim the glass with salt or even mix a pinch of salt into the cocktail to help balance some of the bitterness of the grapefruit.
- If you like your drink on the sweeter side, it can be helpful to add a bit of simple syrup to bring out the natural sweetness of the citrus.
- Spicy Paloma Cocktail – To add a unique heat to your cocktail, add some jalapeno simple syrup and garnish with jalapeno slices. You could also rim the glass with some Tajin for extra flavor and heat.
- Pink Paloma Cocktail – Using pink grapefruits will create a cocktail that tastes more or less the same, but has a beautiful and light pink color. Pink grapefruits can also be sweeter than typical grapefruits, so if you like a sweeter cocktail this may be a preferable option.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Espolòn Blanco Tequila Cocktails – Have tequila leftover and you’re not sure how best to use it? Check out this list of cocktails that utilize tequila to make simple but delicious cocktails.
- Spinach and Feta Quiche – Another great option for a fancy brunch, this quiche combines healthy spinach with the distinct flavor of feta for a light, savory dish.
- Caprese Bites – Using phyllo shell cups, this handheld appetizer takes the flavors of a caprese salad and turns it into a bite-sized and delicious treat!
- Best Dip Recipes – Check out this collection of easy and hearty dips that are perfect for parties, for watching the game, or for a stellar snack any time!
- This Gin Paloma from The Alchemist uses a rosemary-infused simple syrup.
Easy Paloma Drink Recipe
- 2 ounces tequila
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 ounces grapefruit juice
- 3 ounces grapefruit soda
- ice cubes
- grapefruit slice (garnish)
- Fill a glass with ice cubes.
- Squeeze in the lime juice.
- Pour in the tequila.
- Top off with grapefruit juice & grapefruit soda.
- Garnish with a grapefruit slice & lime.
- Rim the glass with some salt to counteract any bitterness from the grapefruit.
- Use pink grapefruit for a slightly sweeter and lighter cocktail with a gorgeous pink color.
- Add jalapeno simple syrup and jalapeno slices to make this drink spicy.
- For a more subtle flavor, use a non-flavored sparkling water instead of the grapefruit soda.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 399Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 14mgCarbohydrates: 67gFiber: 3gSugar: 51gProtein: 2g