These cute and handheld Buffalo Chicken Cups are so easy to prepare and make for a bold and tasty finger food for any occasion!
Whenever you need something simple that still packs lots of flavor, these easy buffalo chicken cups need to be first on your list! Cheesy and spicy, phyllo cups make it super easy to prepare this appetizer.
Pair with Wonton Taco Cups for a fun variety platter with flavors everyone will enjoy!
Why You’ll Love Buffalo Chicken Phyllo Cups
These handheld buffalo chicken cups are the perfect appetizer for parties, game day, or to serve at your next happy hour.
This appetizer features yummy chicken breast smothered in hot sauce and cheese, all cradled in a crispy and golden brown phyllo cup. It’s so easy to create a fun handheld appetizer!
Best of all, it only takes a few ingredients to make this dish. But don’t be fooled; these phyllo cups pack lots of flavor and a good kick of heat. You’ll love throwing together a quick batch to serve up, and your guests will eat them up every time!
Buffalo Chicken Phyllo Cups Ingredients
- Phyllo Baking Shells – these cups are delicious and easy to work with; they’ll feel like a secret shortcut ingredient for these buffalo chicken appetizers!
- Shredded Chicken – this is a great way to use up leftover chicken breast, or you can easily shred a store bought rotisserie chicken.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese – ensures that the filling has a delicious melty quality and some sharp, cheesy flavor.
- Cream Cheese – provides a nice creaminess and helps offset the sharp flavors of the cheese and hot sauce.
- Buffalo Sauce – use your favorite wing sauce to customize the heat level of these phyllo cups to your preference!
- Green Onion – for optional garnish.
- Salt and Pepper – provide a nice base of flavor for the filling.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine shredded chicken, Buffalo sauce, cream cheese, 4oz of cheddar cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Place the phyllo shells into a mini muffin tin and fill each shell with the Buffalo chicken mixture.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese and optional green onion on top.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and serve while warm.
How can I turn these into buffalo chicken wonton cups?
If you prefer to use wonton wrappers, you can easily use the same kind of mini muffin tin to prepare buffalo chicken wontons. Simply spray the tin with some cooking spray and layer in two wonton wrappers on top of each other.
Prepare the chicken mixture as instructed and spoon into the wontons, then bake until the wontons are crispy and the filling is bubbly and melty.
What is in Buffalo Sauce?
While it does typically use hot sauce as a base, buffalo sauce also includes Worcestershire sauce, butter, and vinegar. It has a bit of a creamier consistency and a deeper and more elaborate flavor profile.
How do I make phyllo cups?
Phyllo cups are fairly easy to make and consist of layers of phyllo dough, which is a flaky and light unleavened dough often used in Middle Eastern and Greek cooking.
You’ll find it most often in dishes like baklava and spinach pie, but it’s also great as a base for appetizers since it’s light and versatile.
Check out this post from Not Enough Cinnamon for a full guide on how to make your own phyllo cups with premade phyllo dough. If you want to make phyllo dough all the way from scratch, then try this post from My Greek Dish!
Popular Variations and Substitutions
- Add some crumbles of blue cheese for an additional flavor pairing with the buffalo sauce.
- Serve these phyllo cups with a dipping sauce like ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing. You can either drizzle it over top, or serve it on the side for guests to enjoy as they please.
- You can also serve with additional buffalo sauce for guests who may want an even spicier experience!
- Another way to add some color for visual interest is by adding a bit of chopped parsley after the buffalo chicken cups have baked.
- For even more flavor, mix some cooked onions into the chicken mixture before baking.
- It’s easy to shred a rotisserie chicken from the store to get your shredded chicken. This can also be achieved by cooking chicken breasts in the oven until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, and then using some forks or a meat shredding tool like this to shred.
- Serve with raw carrots or celery on the side for the full buffalo chicken experience.
Other Recipes You’ll Love
- Pizza Wontons – This recipe uses wonton cups to create adorable mini-pizzas that are super customizable and absolutely delicious!
- Sausage Stars – Another appetizer using wonton cups, you can also easily substitute phyllo cups for this 15-minute sausage dish.
- Cheesy Garlic Pull Apart Bread – Delicious and warm, this comforting appetizer only requires 5 ingredients and can be ready in just 10 minutes!
- Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas – For another filling and tasty buffalo chicken appetizer, try these crispy and cheesy quesadillas from Dizzy Busy and Hungry.
Easy Buffalo Chicken Phyllo Cups
- Phyllo Baking Shells
- 1/2 Pound Shredded Chicken
- 5oz Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 4oz Cream Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Buffalo Sauce
- Green Onion (Optional Garnish)
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine shredded chicken, Buffalo sauce, cream cheese, 4oz cheddar cheese, salt & pepper.
- Place the phyllo shells into a muffin tin and fill each shell with the Buffalo chicken mixture.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese & green onion on top.
- Bake for 5 minutes.
- Serve while warm.
- You can also make this recipe using wonton wrappers. Layer them in the cups of a mini muffin tray that's been lightly spritzed with cooking spray, then add the buffalo chicken filling and bake until the wontons are crisp and the filling is hot.
- Add toppings like parsley, blue cheese, green onions, or more cheese.
- Serve with ranch dressing, blue cheese dressing, or additional buffalo sauce for extra flavor and heat.